Palak Raita - Spinach raita recipe
Yogurt Salad - Side dish - Indian Raita
This spinach raita recipe is one of healthy fresh spinach recipes. It's also an
easy spinach dip recipe. It is one of the many wonderful yogurt recipes that I love.You can use
is a Hindi word for spinach. Raita is a curd - yogurt based side dish.
It is served with
rice dishes such as vegetable rice, pulao, biryani or with any Indian
How to make spinach raita - palak raita?
Ingredients for palak - spinach raita:
spinach - palak
spinach - palak
- Fresh Spinach (only leaves) - 1 cup
- Curd (plain yogurt) - 1 ½ cup, lightly beaten
- Salt - ½ tsp or to taste
- Sugar - ¼ tsp or to taste
- Black pepper powder - ¼ tsp
- Garlic (optional) -1 clove or garlic powder -1/4 tsp
- Cumin seed powder - ¼ tsp
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped fine.
Ingredients For seasoning:
- Vegetable oil or ghee - 1 tsp
- Asafetida powder - a pinch
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Green chili (optional) - 1 slit in 2 pieces
Method to make spinach - palak raita:
Heat a pan and add spinach and 1 tbsp water.
- Cook covered for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the heat and let cool a little.
- Purée the spinach if you wish or you can chop it finely.
- Let cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, salt, sugar, cumin powder, chopped cilantro.
- Add puréed or chopped spinach
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and fry for a few seconds. When the seeds start popping, add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped green chili and asafetida. Take off fire.
Cool the tempering completely and add to the yogurt spinach mixture.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
This spinach raita recipe is an interesting way to eat your greens. You can make your
variations by adding chopped onions, tomatoes etc. that would make it colorful too.
- The plain yogurt(curds)should be fresh and sweet. Make sure it is not sour.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut to this raita if you wish.
- Keep the raitha in the fridge if you are planning to serve it later. If left outside, it can get sour.
- Adding tempering is optional.