Bhindi Bharta Okra Yogurt Recipe
Indian okra recipe
Bhindi bharta or Okra yogurt recipe
is a Indian vegetable side dish recipe.
Okra is also known as ladies
finger/lady's finger. In Indian languages okra is known as bhindi
(hindi), bhendi (marathi), bendekai (Kannada), bendakaya (Telugu),
vendakkai (Tamil) etc.
makes this bhindi bharta with curd (yogurt) which I love. You will like
it too if you like bhindi / okra.
This is a easy okra recipe and it is served with breads like chapati, roti, nan, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti).
As this bharta is served at room temperature or cold, you can make it in advance.
Makes a great side dish when you are expecting guests.
For this recipe we use tender okra or bhindi.
How to make bhindi ka bharta
tender fresh bhindi - okra
chopped bhindi - okra
Ingredients for bhindi ka bharta - okra in yogurt for 2-3 persons
- Chopped okra - bhindi - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely.
- Sugar(optional) - a pinch.
- Fresh curd (yogurt) - 1 cup
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
Ingredients for tempering:
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
- Green/red chili - 1 or 2 slit lengthwise
- Hing (asafetida) 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Making bhindi ka bharta - okra in yogurt
- Chop okra / ladies finger / bhindi after cutting the tops. Chop in rounds or small pieces.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add chopped bhindi. Keep heat medium and keep stir frying till the stickiness of bhindi goes away. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Take off flame. Mash a little with the back of a spoon or fork while still warm. Keep aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add split green/red chili, fry for a few seconds.
- Add hing, curry leaves.Take off fire. Add this to the mashed bhindi.
- Add curd (yogurt) and salt according to taste. Mix well.
Bhindi ka bharta is ready to serve.
This is served at room temperature or cold.
chapatti or bhakri (jowar / sorghum flat bread).
- Do not cover the pan when you are stir frying bhindi.
- The volume of bhendi reduces almost to half after it is cooked.You can stir fry the okra in large quantity, mash it and keep in
the fridge for 2-3 days. Take the desired quantity add the tempering
and the yogurt when serving. Saves time.
- You can store this bharta in the fridge. It will keep for 2 days. If the curd - yogurt is a little sour, add a tablespoon of milk to reduce sourness.
- You can make this for a party too. You can fry bhindi and add the
tempering and mix and keep till meal time. Add curd before serving.
- You may add a tbsp of raw chopped onion to the bharta while mixing with curd.
- You may add 2 tbsp chopped onion to the tempering, fry a little and add to raita.
- You can also add dry red chili instead of green chili.
I am sure you will like this Indian Okra recipe - bhendiche bharit.
Go to Raita Recipes From bhindi bhrata okra yogurt recipe
Go to vegetable recipes from bhindi bharta okra yogurt recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from bhindi bharta - okra in yogurt recipe