Kurkuri Bhindi - Crispy Okra Recipe
2 Methods - Baked / Fried Indian okra recipe
Kurkuri Bhindi or crispy okra recipe
is a Indian vegetable side dish recipe.
There are two ways of making this kurkuri bhindi. Deep frying and baking it in the oven.
You will find both the methods given below. Ingredients are same for both methods except the quantity of oil.
Okra is also known as ladies
In Indian languages okra is known as bhindi
(hindi), bhendi (marathi), bendekai (Kannada), bendakaya (Telugu),
vendakkai (Tamil) etc.
This is a easy okra recipe and as it is served at room temperature, you can make it in advance for serving at a party.
Makes a great side dish when you are expecting guests. This is a good one to serve at parties.
It goes very well with all kinds of rice dishes, especially with curd rice. You may serve this as a crunchy snack. You will like this kurkuri bhindi if you like bhindi / okra.
Use tender okra or bhindi for this recipe.
How to make kurkuri Bhindi or crispy okra
Ingredients for kurkuri bhindi - crispy okra - ladies finger for 2-3 persons
Okra - bhindi cut into sticks
besan, rice flour, red chili powder, salt, hing, garam masala, turmeric powder
Ingredients for kurkuri bhindi - crispy okra in for 2-3 persons
- Okra / bhindi - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Besan (chickpea flour) - 2 tbsp
- Rice flour or corn flour(corn starch) - 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp, more according to taste.
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp (If using deep frying method, need more)
- Hing (asafetida) - 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder - a pinch ( I did not add today)
Making kurkuri bhindi - crispy okra
Steps to make kurkuri bhindi - crispi okra
Preparing okra / bhindi before making kurkuri bhindi.
Wash and dry okra/bhindi well. You may just wipe the okra with wet napkin if you wish. We do not want any water on the okra.
Remove the tops and tails of okra.
Cut each okra in 4 pieces lengthwise. If it is too long, cut each okra in half. We need pieces of about 2" long. You can see the cut bhindi pieces in the image below.
Keep the pieces on a plate.
cut okra/bhindi pieces
In a bowl or a plate, add rice flour, besan(chickpea flour), salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala (if adding).
Add all the ingredients in the above list except oil.
spices - ingredients for kurikuri bhindi - okra
Mix all the ingredients well as shown below.
Mixed ingredients for kurkuri bhindi
the mixed dry ingredients on the okra pieces in the plate as shown below.
ingredients mix on okra pieces
Mix well with a
spoon or with your fingers to coat all the pieces.
Cover and keep aside
for 10 minutes.
spices coated okra pieces
After 10 minutes, follow one of the following methods given below.
Method 1 - deep frying okra/bhindi pieces
Method 2 - baking okra/bhindi pieces
Method 1 - Deep frying for making kurkuri bhindi
- Heat oil on medium heat. When oil is hot, add okra pieces a few at time and fry till they are almost crisp.
- Remove on a absorbent paper. Fry all the bhindi in the same way. Once cool to room temperature, keep in an airtight container till serving time.
Method 2 - Baking for crispi okra
- Coat the bottom of the baking tray with oil. Spread the okra pieces evenly on the tray.
- Drizzle a little oil over okra pieces.
- Preheat oven to 160. Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, stir the pieces. Reduce temperature to 120 and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or till okra is almost crisp. This time may differ according to your oven so you should check in between while baking.
- Okra will become crisper when it is cooled so do not overcook.
Kurkuri Bhindi is ready to serve.
This is served at room temperature.
Serve with any rice variety such as curd rice, cauliflower pulao, green bean rice, nan,
chapatti or bhakri (jowar / sorghum flat bread).
- This must be crisp when you serve. If you made it in
advance and it has become soft, just reheat in your oven till crisp.
(not in the microwave.)
- You may use cornflour (corn starch) instead of rice flour. I usually use rice flour as I always have it in my kitchen.
- The volume of bhendi reduces almost to half after it is fried or baked.
can make this for a party too. You can make kurkuri bhindi in advance
and keep it in fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. You may
just heat in the oven for some time to serve it crisp.
- You may sprinkle some raw chopped onion and chaat masala over kurkuri bhindi just before serving as a snack.
Go to vegetable recipes from kurkuri bhindi -crispy okra recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from kurkuri bhindi -crispy okra recipe