Boondi Raita Recipe - Yogurt Recipes
Indian Raita Recipes
Boondi Raita is a yogurt based Indian side dish that is served with a variety of Indian rice or bread.
Raita cools your palate when you serve it with a hot curry. You can use
Boondi is crisp small balls made with gram flour(chickpea flour) batter and deep fried. By
itself boondi is also eaten as a snack.
Boondi is available in the shops in three varieties. All varieties are crisp.
- Sweet boondi - This sweet boondi is used as a snack or a sweet dish. Boondi laddoo is made with such sweet boondi.
- Spicy or khara boondi - is served as a snack. It is mixed with fried or roasted peanuts, in mixture made with beaten rice etc. It is also added as a garnish on some snack dishes such as
- Salty boondi - This is a light colored bland boondi which we generally use for making raita.
If salty bland boondi is not available, you may use the khara boondi after putting it in water for a few seconds. This will take away it's spiciness.
You can also serve boondi raitha as a cooling snack in the hot summer afternoons.
When you have boondi ready, you can prepare this raita
within minutes just before serving a meal or make it and keep it in the fridge to serve when you want.
This boondi raitha recipe is easy,simple and quick recipe. Just try it.
How to Make Boondi Raita
Main ingredients for boondi raita
Store bought boondi
yogurt - curd - dahi
cilantro - dhania - kothmir
Ingredients for boondi raita for 2-3 servings
- Boondi - 1/2 cup
- Curd (plain yogurt) - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar -
- Green chili - 1 no.
- Coriander(Cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp
For tempering - This is optional
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Rai/Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making boondi raita
- Chop cilantro
- Slit chili in half.
Make tempering (if adding)
- Heat oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let crackle.
- Add the slit chilli, pinch of asafetida.
- Fry for a few seconds. Take off and let cool before adding to raita.
- Take curd/yogurt in a bowl and beat it lightly.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves, salt, sugar to the beaten curds and mix well.
- Add the prepared seasoning(if adding) and mix well.
- Add boondi and mix well.
- Cool in fridge if you wish and serve with rice or roti.
Tips and variations
- You may make boondi at home or buy it ready.
- Adding boondi to warm water first will take away some of it's oiliness.
- If you like boondi to remain crisp, mix yogurt and other ingredients and keep aside. Add boondi just before serving.
- If you like soft boondi in raita, mix boondi in advance in yogurt mix and keep in fridge for some time.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut to this raita if you wish
- You can add
black pepper powder along with or instead of green chili according to
- The plain yogurt(curds)should be fresh and sweet. Make sure
it is not sour.
- Sprinkle a little red chili powder to this raita if you
- Sprinkle some chaat masala over the raita before serving.
- Keep the raitha in the fridge if you are planning to serve it
later. If left outside, it can get sour.
- Add finely chopped onion if you
with. Tastes wonderful with all the rice dishes.
You might like these
Potato salad is a easy to make potato recipe. Dahi aloo raita is served with rice, chapati, paratha. You may also have as a snack.
Beetroot raita recipe, beet raitha, beets yogurt recipe, Indian raita
Spinach raita recipe, palak raita in Hindi, is one of fresh spinach recipes. It is also one of the many wonderful yogurt recipes
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.