Dahi vada - yogurt based snack recipe
balle - Mosaru vade - Thayir vade
Indian snack recipe - Lentil recipe
is also known as dahi bhalle, dahi bade(hindi, punjabi),
mosaru vade(kannada), thayir vade(tamil)in Indian languages.
It is a cool yogurt based snack. Dahi means yogurt or curds in
Vada is a general term for flour based deep fried snack.
Dahi vada should be made in advance so it is convenient to make and ideal to serve at parties.
It is a good and a convenient dish to add to your party menu, especially
in hot summer days, in the afternoons or evenings.
It is loved by kids and grownups too.
Though it may seem like a long recipe, it is very easy to make and convenient too. So do try it.
How to make dahi vada - Mosaru vade - Thayir vade:
Ingredients For making vada
- Urad dal(split white lentil) - 1 cup
- Water - for soaking dal
- Fresh curd(yogurt) - 3 cups + ½ cup
- Salt - ½ tsp or to taste.
- Sugar - ½ tsp or to taste.
- Vegetable oil - for frying.
Ingredients to use while serving -
- Red chili powder - a little
- Cumin powder - 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped fine.
- Boondi(optional) - 1 tbsp
Preparation for vada making:
- Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour.
- Grind to thick paste using a little water. Do not use too much water.
- Add salt , mix well and keep aside.
- Take the half cup curd. Beat well, Add 1 cup water, a little salt, cumin powder, sugar. Beat well again and keep
aside. This will be used to soak vadas.
- Beat the remaining curd well, add salt, sugar, a little cumin powder to the curd
and mix well. Keep aside. This will be added to vada while serving.
Frying vada and making ready for serving
Heat oil. Keep a flat pan filled with warm water ready.
- Once oil is hot, keep
heat medium. Drop spoonfuls of batter in the hot oil. Fry till golden brown in color.
- Remove and drain well. Add the vada to the warm water. This will remove excess oil from the vada.
- After a minute, Remove each vada from water. Press between your palms lightly to remove
- Add pressed vada to the watery beaten curd mixture. Let soak for a minute or two.
and put in a flat deep dish or a container where it will remain till
serving time. You may put this dish in fridge if you plan to serve
- Follow the steps
for each batch of vada. Handle vadas soaked vadas carefully as they will break easily after soaking.
For serving dahi vada:
- Place 2 soaked vadas in a deep dish.
- Add a ladle ful of thick beaten curd.
Sprinkle a little chili powder, cumin powder, boondi or fine sev, coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
- If you are serving this dish for a party, arrange vada on a big flat dish, pour some thick beaten curd mixture
on the soaked vadas in the flat dish.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin powder,
boondi and coriander leaves.
- Place a bowl of beaten curd by the side of vada bowl/flat dish so your guests can
help themselves with vadas and the extra curd if they wish.
Do make dahi vada and let me know how it came out.
to Snack Recipespage from Dahi Vada page
Go to VegetarianRecipes