Dry aloo mutter subji
Potato green peas recipe
North Indian subji recipe - Vegetable side dish
This dry aloo matar subji Potato green peas recipe is a easy and quick cooking Indian vegetable side dish.
You can serve aloo matar subji with chapati, paratha, naan or with plain rice. It
is best served hot but cooled one tastes good too.
Aloo matar subji will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just reheat before serving.
This is a dryish subji.
It is a
good accompaniment with chapati to take for lunch to office or school.
You can make a wrap / roll with chapati for kids.
The ingredients for this aloo matar subji are few and it gets ready in
about 15 minutes.
If you have boiled potatoes ready, you may
use them and the cooking time will be reduced further.
The quantity of potato and matar/green peas can
vary according to your choice and availability.
How to make potato cauliflower - aloo gobi subji
Ingredients for aloo matar - potato green peas subji
- Potatoes - 2-3 medium sized
- Fresh green peas - 1/2 cup shelled
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste.
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Dhania (Cilantro / coriander leaves) - 1 tbsp chopped
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Asafetida / hing - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard /rai seeds (optional) - 1/4 tsp
Method for making potato peas - aloo matar subji
- Heat a pan and add vegetable oil of your choice.
- When it is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them
- Add hing (asafetida) and turmeric powder.
- Add potato pieces. Stir, cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
Add green peas and mix well.
Sprinkle a little water (about one tablespoon) cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Potatoes should be just done and not too soft by this time. The peas also would be cooked by now.
- Add the chili powder, garam masala, jaggery or sugar and salt.
- Mix well. If it looks too dry, add 1 spoon of water.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Check if potato and peas are cooked.
- Cover and cook some more if necessary.
- Add coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Take off the stove.
- Cover and let rest for five minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Ready potato peas - aloo matar subji
Serve aloo mutter subji with chapati, paratha, naan or with plain rice.
Along with or instead of garam masala, you may add cumin powder (jeera powder) and coriander powder
If you are using boiled potatoes, add the green peas along with potatoes. When they are cooked, add all the other spices etc.
Enjoy Aloo matar subji.
Go to vegetable recipes
From Potato cauliflower Aloo gobi subji recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes