Bean Recipes - Green Bean Subji Recipe
Green beans - French beans - String beans recipe
There are a lot of Bean recipes but this green beans subji recipe is simple
and easy to make. If you like green beans, and are wondering how to cook green beans today,
this is the recipe for you.
Green beans are also known as french beans or string beans. You know green beans have strings which you need to remove before cutting and using in cooking in any dish.
It is good to add beans in your meals in soups, rice, subjis or in breakfast or snack items such as
Mixed Veg Upma.
Don't know many recipes using beans? Keep reading and you will find more bean recipes on
Beans are cooked by itself or with lentils. Cooked with rice and
spices, it can be a one dish meal.
Cooked as a vegetable side dish, it is a good
accompaniment for breads, such as
phulka or with
You can use any kind of beans for this recipe, such as french beans, runner
beans etc. Prepare beans by topping, tailing and remove strings too.
Beans subji is made in this way in the state of Maharashtra (beanschi bhaji) and in Karnataka(beans palya). It is a everyday
as well as a festival recipe. It is also a side dish in the south Indian wedding menu.
How to make green bean subji
Main ingredients for green bean subji
Ingredients for green bean subji for 3-4 servings:
- Beans - 2 cups, chopped.
- Green chilies - 1 or 2, Slit in two pieces .
- Ginger paste 1/4 tsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to taste.
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp.
- Fresh grated Coconut 1 tbsp
- Lime juice - 1/2 tsp
- water - 2 tbsp if needed
Ingredients for tempering
- Oil -1tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing)(optional) : a pinch.
- Turmeric powder(optional) - 1 tsp.
Step by step instructions for cooking green bean subji :
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seed. When
they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder.
- Add green chili pieces. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped beans. Mix and Cover. Cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add ginger/garlic paste, curry leaves. stir. Add salt, sugar. Mix well.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Cover and cook on low flame till beans are just done.
- Add Coconut, chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
- Turn the flame off . Add lime juice and mix well.
Serve it with
rice, as a side , vegetable side dish with any meal.
Add water to this recipe only if needed. Beans contains enough water. When you add
sugar and salt, this water will be released. That is enough for the beans to be cooked.
You may use red chili powder instead of green chili if you wish. You may also use a little
garam masala or any other masala of your choice.
To reduce final cooking time, can pressure cook or steam beans for 10 minutes before
adding to seasoning.
Go To Vegetable Recipes
Page From Green Bean subji Recipe
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Green Bean subji Recipe