Curry leaves chutney recipe
This Curry leaves chutney powder recipe
is simple and easy to make.
You can store and use this chutney powder for more than a month. After making this chutney powder, you can use it to make some variations which are given below.
Curry leaves chutney is a healthy accompaniment for any meal. It adds taste as well as color to your meal.
fresh curry leaves
dried curry leaves
Curry leaves health benefits
Curry leaves have many health benefits when consumed regularly. Curry leaf is a good source of iron.
Apart from the nutrition value, the leaves also have medicinal curative power.
Curry leaves help digestion and reduce nausea.
Curry leaves are good for improving skin, for hair growth and for preventing premature greying.
In most south Indian cooking curry leaves are added,
be it rasam, sambar, curries or varieties of rice preparations.
This curry leaves chutney recipe is a South Indian recipe.
How to make curry leaves chutney powder?
Ingredients for curry leaves chutney powder
- Curry leaves - 1 big bunch thoroughly washed and dried in shade, about 2 cups after drying
- Pepper corns - 10
- Til/sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
- Jeera/cumin seed - 1 tsp
- Whole red chilies - 10 to 12 or according to taste
- Hing/asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Udad dal/split white lentil - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- Jaggery - a small piece
Optional ingredients according to taste
Step by step cooking instructions
- Heat a kadai or fry pan.
- Then add the dried curry leaves and roast for some time, till the leaves
start to turn crisp. Switch off. The leaves will turn crisp as they cool
- Add oil to the same pan. Add udad dal, red chilies, hing, pepper corn and jeera.
- Fry for a minute and then switch off. Let cool completely.
- When all the ingredients are at room temperature, add salt.
- Grind in blender/mixer to coarse powder. You may also pound it using mortar and pestle if you wish.
You may use red chili powder according to taste instead of using whole dry red chilies.
Tips for storing and serving curry leaf chutney powder
Once chutney powder is ready, You can store this dry curry leaf chutney powder in the fridge for a month or longer.
You may use it in many variations to make your meal nutritious and healthy.
- You can have the chatni with chapati, poori, roti, plain rice, dosa, idli, uttapam etc.
- You can have it with bread/paratha etc.
- You may sprinkle it on a toasted bread slice. Apply a little ghee or butter before adding curry leaf chutney powder.
- Sprinkle some chutney pudi on hot plain rice along with a little ghee and salt(optional).
- Add this chutney powder to your dry subjis and curries for better taste, to get good consistency and to make them healthy.
Curry leaf chutney paste - serving with dosa, uttappam
- 2 tbsp chutney powder
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut,
- a little salt
- 2-3 tbsp water.
- Grind all the ingredients to make into a chutney paste and serve with idli, dosa etc.
- You may add tadka / tempering with oil, mustard / cumin seeds, hing to
this chutney paste.
Go to Dry chutney recipes
From curry leaves chutney powder recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From curry leaf chutney powder