Vegetable Cutlet Recipe
Vegetarian Cutlet Recipe
Mixed vegetable cutlets
Healthy Vegetarian Snack Recipe
vegetable cutlet recipe comes to rescue when kids are not so
enthusiastic about eating vegetables. It is a favorite of kids as well
as grown ups.
are willing to eat the vegetables that they wouldn't touch otherwise
when these vegetables are given to them in the form of a cutlet. My
daughter refuses the beetroot in any other form but in a cutlet, it is
Ready to eatvegetable cutlets in the image below.
My daughter is willing to have Vegetable cutlets for breakfast, lunch and dinner and school lunch and picnic and snacks and all the other times.
She also loves
This vegetable cutlet recipe uses shallow frying method. So even
those who are dieting, are avoiding fats can enjoy these without feeling
How to make vegetable cutlets
Ingredients for mixed vegetable cutlets
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Carrots - Gajar
Beet - Beetroot
Potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Boiled and mashed potatoes - 2 cups
- Onion - 1/2 cup
- French beans - 1/2 cup
- Carrot - grated - 1/2 cup
- Beetroot grated - 1/2 cup
- Bread crumbs - 1 cup
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
- Green chilies - chopped finely - 2 or more according to taste
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste optional - 1/2 tsp finely chopped
- coriander(cilantro)leaves - 2 tbsp
- Maida (plain flour)2 tbsp + some water for making thin batter
- Rava (semolina - cream of wheat) or breadcrumbs for rolling the cutlets
Step by step instructions for making vegetable cutlets
- Boil potatoes, peel them and grate or mash them.
- In a frypan or karahi,
heat 1 tbsp oil. Add chopped onion. Fry for a minute.
- Add ginger, garlic
paste chopped green chilies. Fry for a minute.
- Add chopped French
beans. Cover and let cook till beans are almost done.
- Add grated beetroot
and carrots. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir once in a while. Do not add any extra water. There will be enough
moisture in carrots and beetroots.
- Once the vegetables are cooked remove
cover and continue cooking till the mixture is dry.
- Add garam
masala (optional). Cool the mixture and mash it a little.
- Once the mixture
is completely cool, add boiled and grated potatoes.
- Add salt, more green
chilies, paste or chopped fine, if you like the taste.
- Check for salt and add more if
bread crumbs and mix. The mixture should not be very soft. It should hold shape
when you make a ball. If it is too soft, add some more bread
- Divide the mixture in lime sized balls and then make in flat patties. You
make your patties round, heart shaped, oblong or square, as you wish. Keep aside.
You can see in the image below the vegetable mixture and cutlets ready to cook.
Vegetable cutlet mix
- Make a thin batter with maida(plain flour) and water. Dip the
cutlets in this mixture and roll in breadcrumbs or rava. Coat the cutlet
well with it.
- Heat a fry pan or tava/ girdle and reduce the
flame to medium.
- Add a few spoonfuls of oil in the pan. Place the cutlets , 4-5 at a
time - depending on the size of your pan.
- When one side of the cutlet is
cooked, turn the cutlets. Add a
spoonful of oil around the cutlets.
- Cook on the other side till a few
brown spots appear.
- Cook all the Cutlets this way.
Serve hot with ketchup,
mint chutney or
, tamarind chutey, onion rings etc.
- You may use rava or bread crumbs or rice flour to roll the cutlets.
may use besan(gram /chickpea flour) instead of maida(plain flour)
some oats, powdered to the vegetable mixture to make it more
healthy. It will also dry out the mixture fast. Add oats after the
carrots are cooked.
- You may deep fry the cutlets if you wish.
- You may use
other vegetables such as chopped cauliflower, cabbage, roasted
- Garam masala - optional 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - optional 1
- You may cook the green beans in the pressure cooker and add to the
mixture after cooking carrots. Do not use the water if any.
- You may also
cook the beetroot in the pressure cooker and then grate it. And add
along with carrots.
- There is no need to precook carrots and the grated
carrots cook fast.
- Make sure the mixture is semi dry before taking off
- If you do not like the beetroot coloring all the vegetables, avoid
- Make sure the mixture is cool before you add boiled and mashed
potatoes and bread crumbs. Do not add to the hot mixture.
I am sure you will find this Vegetable Cutlet Recipe useful. Enjoy with