Stuffed eggplant - Stuffed brinjal
- Stuffed Eggplant curry
Indian Eggplant Recipe
eggplant or stuffed brinjal is a favorite of many.
This eggplant curry dish is
referred to as yenngai, yennegai, tumbid badnekai' in Kannada, ' bharwa
baingan' in Hindi, 'bharli vangi' in Marathi, 'Gutti Vankaaya Kura' in
Telugu language. Whatever the name, the dish is awesome. I assure you
You can see the Stuffed Eggplant Curry, Ready to serve in the image below.
Stuffed eggplant - Bharli vangi - yennagai - bharvan baingan
Stuffed eggplant, Jowar roti with kopra chutney
Stuffed-Eggplant served with jowar roti, Kopra (dry coconut) and garlic chutney and
You can see the process of making stuffed brinjal below.
Stuffed brinjal curry is generally served with bhakri (jowar roti, jolada rotti , sorghum flatbread).
It is also good to serve with chapati or paratha.
You may make the gravy thick or a bit thin as you like but generally it is never too thin.
How to make stuffed eggplant
Ingredients for stuffed eggplant curry to serve 4:
Main ingredients for stuffed brinjal curry
Eggplant - aubergin - baingan
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
For this stuffed brinjal curry, we use small round purple eggplants.
- Small purple brinjals - 8
Ingredients For stuffing baingan:
- Onions - 2 cups, chopped finely
- Jaggery -1 tbsp, crushed .
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp.
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp or to taste
- Garam masala or goda masala - 1 tbsp
- Roasted peanut powder (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - paste or chopped finely - ½ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp or to taste.
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp of your choice.
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Preparation for cooking eggplant
- Wash them thoroughly and dry them well.
- Cut off the stem and Slit the brinjals in four without separating them.
- Mix well the items for stuffing. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Do not add water. Onions will
release enough water to keep the mixture moist.
- Fill the stuffing into the slit brinjals and press together.
5. Press the eggplant to keep the stuffing in. Keep aside the leftover stuffing if any. We will use it while cooking.
Pressing stuffed eggplant
Cooking stuffed Eggplants - Brinjal - Baingan - vangi
1. Heat Oil in a deep pan. Add Mustard seeds, cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add
Turmeric powder, Asafoetida, curry leaves.
Place the stuffed brinjals carefully in the pan, with open side up. Add the leftover stuffing over the brinjals.
Cooking stuffed eggplant
2. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes.
Remove cover and move the brinjals carefully with a spoon on their sides. Sprinkle a little water if
necessary for cooking.
Cover and Cook for 5-6 minutes or till just done. The brinjals should not lose their shape
or become very soft.
Switch off the flame and keep aside till serving time.
stuffed eggplant - Bharli vangi
Serve hot or at room temperature with jowar roti or chapati, paratha, naan or rice rotti.
You may store this in fridge for 2 days
and reheat and serve.
- I usually cut off the stems. You may keep them on if you wish.
- Instead of roasted peanut powder, you may use peanut chutney powder if you have it.
- You may use Kopra chutney powder or desscicated coconut instead of fresh grated coconut.
- Amount of jaggery may be increased if you like sweetish taste.
- Add a table spoon of tomato puree after the tempering is done and before adding stuffed brinjals. Cook a little and then add the brinjals.
to Eggplant recipes from stuffed brinjal - eggplant
Go to vegetable recipes from Stuffed Eggplant
Go to Vegetarian recipes Homepage from stuffed eggplant