Pav bhaji recipe - Indian fast food
Indian street food- Kid's party recipe
This pav bhaji recipe is a part of indian street food. Call it Pav bhaji or bhaji pav,
it is a
delight to eat. I haven't come across anyone yet who doesn't like pav
bhaji. Have you?
Pav is a square bun and bhaji is a mixed vegetable curry in tomato gravy which has a special spice mix -
'pav bhaji masala' added to it. It is served with chopped onions sprinkled with fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
and a lemon wedge. It looks colorful and tastes great too.
Pav bhaji has it's origin in Mumbai, in the western state of Maharashtra.
It is popular as a Indian street food. It is
available at most of the street vendors who sell chat items.
It can be made at home too as it is a simple and
You can make it as a wholesome evening meal or a snack.
It is a popular dish for parties, kid's parties or elder's
The cooking of bhaji is done in advance. Most of the preparation is also done in advance so it is easier
to serve even when you have a group of guests to serve together.
The pav used for this pav bhaji recipe is a square bun. It is softer than the regular bread. It is split in two and
roasted at the time of serving.
There are many pav bhaji masalas available. For this pav bhaji recipe, I am using Everest pav bhaji masala.
I will also post later my own pav bhaji masala recipe.
How to make Pav bhaji
Main Ingredients for bhaji
Ingredients for bhaji: to serve 4 - 5
- Carrots - 1/2 cup chopped small
- Potatoes - 1 cup boiled and roughly mashed
- French beans - 1/2 cup chopped fine
- Green peas - 1/2 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Tomatoes - 11/2 cup finely chopped or 1 cup tomato puree
- Onions - 1 cup finely chopped
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Pav Bhaji Masala - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Sugar(optional) - 3/4 tsp
- Salt to taste1 1/2 tbsps
- Vegetable oil or butter - 1 - 2 tbsp
Pav - 8 / 10 or as required (about 2 pav per person)
- butter - for applying to pav
For serving -
- Finely chopped onion.
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish1 tbsp
- Lemon juice or lemon wedges.
Cooking method: How to make bhaji
- Cook the French beans, carrots in a cup of water till they are done.
- Boil peas till done. You may also pressure
cook all vegetables. I cook all the vegetables except onions in the pressure cooker using separators.
- In a deep thick bottomed pan, add vegetable oil or butter.
- Add chopped onions and fry for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook stirring once in a while for 5-6 minutes till they are cooked soft.
- Add ginger paste. Fry for a minute.
- Add cooked beans and carrots, peas along with the water they were cooked in.
- Add red chili powder, salt, sugar, pav bhaji masala.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Mix while lightly mashing the vegetables together using potato masher.
- Taste for salt and chili powder. Add more if necessary according
to your taste. Add water if the bhaji is too thick. Bhaji thickens as it cools.
- Cook for 3-5
minutes. Add some fresh coriander leaves.
- Mix. Switch the flame off
Heat a flat pan / skillet / tava. Cut each pav in half and apply a little butter on both sides.
Put it on the heated pan. Cook it till is golden brown on both the sides. Depending on the size of your pan, you can cook 4-5 at a time.
Tips for making pav bhaji:
- Garlic paste can be added but is not a must. If adding, add it along with ginger paste.
- You may also add other vegetables such as capsicum, cauliflower
florets, beetroots. Chop them all well and cook along with other
- I do not like to add cabbage as that changes the flavor as well as
the taste of the bhaji. But that too may be added if you wish.
- Beetroot tastes ok but changes color of the pav bhaji. So that too can be added if you like.
- If making for kid's party, you may reduce or omit the chili powder.
- This bhaji can also be served with other breads, chapati,
Instructions for serving Pav bhaji:
The bhaji should be hot.
Put the bhaji in a small bowl or put it directly on the plate. Place two roasted pav pieces, some chopped onion and coriander leaves.
Sprinkle a little lemon juice on the bhaji or put a little lemon piece with it.
Go to Snack Recipes
From Pav bhaji recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Pav bhaji recipe