Vangi bhaat - Karnataka rice recipe
South Indian rice recipe made with Spicy Vangi bhat Powder
Vangi bhaat is a Karnataka rice recipe. It is a one dish meal
and easy to make. It is usually made for a festival meal, for get together, party etc.
It may be served at room temperature so is good for parties or for lunch box. Spicy Vangi bhat powder is used to make this Brinjal rice.
The word Marathi word 'vangi' means eggplant/brinjal/aubergine. So most
of the times, eggplants are used, but you may also make it with capsicum
or peas etc. Add peas along with brinjal or capsicum.
A special spice powder, known as vangi bhaat powder masala is used to make this rice. You may make this masala powder at home or buy it ready as it is easily available.
You may make vangi bhaat with fresh rice or with leftover rice. You can make it for any meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The cooked rice for this recipe should not be mushy. So add a little less
water than usual if making with fresh rice. Let the rice cool a bit (so that it does not
break while mixing) before adding to the tempering.
Make it when you do not have time to cook an elaborate meal, accompaniments for plain rice.
Use seedless/ less seed eggplant variety if possible.
How to make vangi bhaat - Spicy tempered rice with eggplant
Ingredients for vangi bhaat for two servings
- Rice, pre cooked fresh/leftover - 2 cups
- Vangi/eggplant/brinjal - chopped 1 cup
- Vangi bhaat masala - 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp, more or less according to taste.
- Jaggery(powdered) or sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Curry leaves - 7-8
Ingredients For tempering:
Vegetable oil or Ghee(clarified butter) - 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp, for extra hotness, more or less according to taste.
- Fresh Coriander leaves / Cilantro - 1 tbsp chopped
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 table spoon
- Green fresh or dry red chili - 1 No.
- Peanuts (ground nuts) - 8-10
Preparation before making vangi bhaat - Spicy tempered rice
- Chop/slit chili if using
- Chop coriander leaves
- If rice is lumpy, break the lumps using your fingers or a fork. Keep aside. Rice should not be hot. It will break while mixing if it is hot.
Cooking Method for vangi bhaat
- Heat oil in a kadai / frypan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When they stop crackling, add asafetida, turmeric powder
- Add chopped chili, curry leaves. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped vangi/eggplant and fry for a few seconds. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or till eggplant are just done.
- Add vangi bhaat powder, red chili powder (if adding), jaggery and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut. Mix.
- Take off the flame and keep aside till serving time.
Vangi bhaat / spicy tempered rice is ready. Serve it as a meal by itself or with a cucumber or tomato salad and
Tips - Variations
- You can see that the basic recipe needs very few ingredients.
- You may add 1/2 tsp chana dal and 1/2 tsp urad dal after the mustard seeds have crackled.
- You may add other chopped vegetables such as potato, fresh green peas.
- Rice should be at room temperature or cold.
Related Pages to visit:
Sweet coconut rice - Narali bhaat