Phodnicha Bhaat Spicy Tempered Rice Recipe
Maharashtrian leftover rice recipe
This phodnicha bhaat is a spicy tempered rice recipe from Maharashtra. It is a one dish meal
and easy to make. It is made using left over rice. You can make it with
freshly cooked rice too.
this phodnicha bhaat is a Marathi fried rice recipe, most Indian states
have their own versions of this spicy seasoned rice. It is known as Talimpu annam, popu annam, thalicha sadam etc in the south Indian states.
Phodnicha bhaat is usually made to use up left over rice. But it is
so tasty, that you will want to make it with freshly cooked rice even when
there is no left over rice.
Leftover / refrigerated rice is usually a little dry and you can use it as it is.
The rice for this recipe should not be mushy. So add a little less
water if making fresh rice. Let the rice cool a bit (so that it does not
break while mixing) before adding to the tempering.
You can make it for any meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Make it when you do not have time to cook an elaborate meal, accompaniments for plain rice.
How to make phodnicha bhaat - Spicy tempered rice
Ingredients for phodnicha bhaat for two servings
Rice, pre cooked/leftover - 2 cups
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp, more or less according to taste.
- Salt - 1 teaspoon or to taste
Ingredients For tempering:
Vegetable oil or Ghee(clarified butter) - 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
Optional additional ingredients
- Onion chopped - 1/4 cup
- Fresh Coriander leaves(Cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 table spoon
- Green fresh or dry red chili - 1 No.
- Peanuts (ground nuts) - 8-10
- metkoot/menthya hittu - 1 tbsp
Preparation for making phodnicha bhaat - Spicy tempered rice
- Chop/slit chili if using
- Chop coriander leaves
- If rice is lumpy, break the lumps using your fingers or a fork. Keep aside.
Cooking phodnicha bhaat - fodnicha bhat - Maharashtrian spicy rice
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- When they stop crackling, Add asafetida, turmeric powder
- Add chopped chili, curry leaves. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry for a few seconds.
- Cover and cook for a minute or two, till onions are just done.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut. Mix.
Phodnicha bhaat / spicy tempered rice is ready. Serve it as a meal by itself or with a cucumber or tomato salad and
papad. The combination of turmeric and red chili powder gives it a lovely color.
Tips - Variations
- You can see that the basic recipe needs very few ingredients. You may
add the optional spices and ingredients for a variety and according to
the liking of your family.
- You may add 1/2 tsp chana dal and 1/2 tsp urad dal after the mustard seeds have crackled.
- You may add 1/4 tsp garam masala or maharashtrian goda masala.
- You may add 1/4 tsp rasam powder or sambar powder.
- You may add chopped or crushed garlic and ginger.
- you may use ginger garlic paste.
- You may add other chopped vegetables such as potato, fresh green peas. I usually add only onion.
Go to Rice Recipes Page
Go to Lentil Recipes Page from Phodnicha bhaat - Maharashtrian recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes homepage from Spicy tempered rice recipe