Moong dal Rava Pongal recipe
Sooji pongal - South Indian breakfast
Savory Semolina - Cream of wheat Recipe
Moong dal Rava Pongal recipe is made from Rava
(known as suji/ sooji / cream of wheat / semolina) and moong dal (green lentils)is a easy South Indian breakfast dish.
Generally rava is used to make rava upma or rava idli. Upma is a healthy
breakfast or a filling snack. This rava pongal makes it more healthy
with the addition of mung dal.
Like upma, it is a one
dish meal where you may add vegetables to it.
Onions, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes,
tomatoes, capsicum etc. may be added to this. You many add only one or a combination of vegetables
This recipe below is for the basic rava pongal recipe without any vegetables.
How to make Moong dal Rava Pongal
Ingredients for Mung dal Rava pongal
Ingredients for Moong dal Rava Pongal to make 4 servings
- Rava(sooji, semolina) - 1 cup
- Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Black pepper seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Green or red chillies - 2 or more according to taste.
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Vegetable oil or ghee - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch
- Sugar or jaggery - 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1/4 tsp, finely chopped or paste
Rava - sooji - semolina
Split green lentils - Moong - mung dal
Green chili - hari mirch
pongal tempering ingredients
Preparation before making Moong dal Rava Pongal
rava on mediam flame for 7-8 minutes, till it is imparts aroma. The
color will be changed too. Do not let it get brown. Keep aside.
moong dal and add 1 1/2 cups of water to it. Cook moong dal in pressure
cooker or on the stove top till it is soft and mushy.
- Chop green or red chilies in big pieces.
Cooking Moong dal Rava Pongal
Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add chana dal, urad dal. Fry till dal is light brown.
- Add chili pieces. Fry till chilies look blistered..
- Add ginger.
- Add cooked moong dal and water. Bring to boil.
- Add salt, sugar.
- Reduce flame and add roasted rava stirring continuously. Mix well so as not to let form lumps.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Stir in between.
- Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
You may roast rava in large quantities when you have time and keep it for making rava upma when you are in hurry.
Roasting rava or semolina properly while stirring on low or medium flame is important.
Go to vegetable upma recipe