Bombay aloo sagu - potato saagu recipe
Potato with Gravy - Batata rassa
Bombay aloo sagu Potato saagu Recipe or Batata rassa is usually served in restaurants in Karnataka.
It is served with set dosa, poori, akki rotti, idli, rava idli etc.
Potato is known as alu, aloo or batata in Indian languages. This is a potato curry with gravy(rassa means gravy).
Potato curry - bombay aloo sagu
This curry, made with potatoes is a good accompaniment with any Indian Bread, such as
Chapati , Phulka ,
Poori , Dosa - Indian pancake, etc.
How to make Bombay aloo sagu - Potato saagu
Ingredients - Bombay aloo sagu / Potato saagu
potatoes - Aloo - Batata
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Red ripe tomatoes
cloves - laung
cinnamon - dalchini
- Potatoes - 4 Boiled.
- Onion - 1 large, chopped fine.
- Tomatoes - 2 large, chopped
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to taste.
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) : a pinch
- Water - 1 1/2 to 2 cups, as needed
For grinding together
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Green chili - 1
- Cloves - 4-5
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Fresh grated coconut or kopra - 2 tbsp
- Roasted gram(puthane/dalia/pottu kadalai/bhuna channa) - 1 tbsp
Preparation before cooking potato saagu:
Boil Potatoes. Peel and mash them roughly. Let there be a few small pieces intact.
- Chop onions and tomatoes
- Grind the ingredients under the list for grinding to smooth paste with a little water. Keep aside.
Cooking potato sagu:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida(hing).
- Add chopped onion, fry till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or till tomatoes start losing their shape.
- Add curry leaves. stir.
- Add roughly mashed potatoes, salt, 1 cup water, ground masala paste.
- Mix well. Add more water if necessary to get the consistency you want. Bring to boil on medium flame.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Stir in-between.
- Check if potatoes are done to your liking.
- Add chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
Serve it with Indian Breads such as
- Indian Vegan Pancake etc. You may also serve it with Idli, rava idli.
Potato sagu - bombay aloo sagu
Tips for variation and serving
- You may omit onion and garlic if you wish.
- You may also add
other vegetables such as cauliflower, green peas, kohlrabi (navalkol) etc. to this
curry along with potato. Chop these other vegetables well.
- Roasted gram (puthane) is added for getting thick gravy. You may reduce the quantity if you wish.
- You may also add powdered roasted gram instead of adding it to the masala for grinding.
- You may add roasted besan flour instead of roasted gram.
- You can also serve for this batata rassa for a quick dinner with pav
bread or sliced bread. Toast the pav bread or the bread slices if you
wish. You may apply a little butter too. Try this too when you do not
have time to cook dinner. I am sure you have the main ingredients on