Bhopla kaddu bharta Pumpkin raita recipe
Bhoplyache bharit - kaddu ka bharta
Bhoplyache bharit or kaddu bharta / Pumpkin raita recipe is very easy to make.
Pumpkin raita is served as a side dish with chapati, rice, roti, paratha etc.
Pumpkin is known as bhopla(Marathi), Kaddu(Hindi), Kumbalkai (Kannada). Pumpkin is easily available in India at all time in the year.
You may use red pumpkin or yellow/white pumpkin for this bharta. Both
taste good in this dish.
How to make pumpkin raita - Bhopla kaddu bharta
Main ingredients for pumpkin raita - Bhopla kaddu bharta
Pumpkin - Bhopla - Kaddu
yogurt - curd
Ingredients for pumpkin bharta for 2-3 servings
- Pumpkin pieces – 1 cup
- Plain fresh yogurt/curd – ½ cup or more according to taste
- Salt – ¼ tsp, more or less according to taste
- Sugar – ¼ tsp, more or less according to taste
- Roasted peanuts (optional) - 1 tsp
Ingredients for tempering/ tadka
- Chili, green or red – 1
- Vegetable oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ th tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ th tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
Step by step instructions for making pumpkin bharta
Preparation for making bharta –
- Wash pumpkin under running water.
- Remove skin with a peeler or a sharp knife. Removing skin is not a must. I sometimes leave it on.
- Cut pumpkin in about one inch pieces.
- Chop chili and coriander leaves.
- Crush roasted peanuts(if using) roughly.
Steam cooking pumpkin
Steam pumpkin pieces by any of the following methods.
- Add pumpkin pieces and 2 tbsp water in a pan. Cover and cook
on low flame till pieces are just done. Check in between and add a little water
- You may steam these pieces in a steamer.
- Keep in a separator / closed container
while cooking rice in a pressure cooker.
- You may also steam cook pumpkin in microwave mode. It may
take about 2-3 minutes in microwave.
Let the pumpkin cool completely.
Making tempering - tadka
- Heat oil in a small tadka pan
- Add mustard seeds and when they start splattering, add cumin
seeds, hing, chili pieces and curry leaves.
- Stir a little and switch off the
- Tempering is ready. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, add plain yogurt/curd, salt, sugar,
tadka(tempering), chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Add the cooked pumpkin
- Mash lightly and mix well.
- Keep aside till serving time.
Keep in the fridge if you like it cool or if you are going
to serve it after some time. Leaving this pumpkin raita/bharta outside may make it sour if
you are living in a hot place.
Tips and variations
If you leave the skin on, the skin does not get cooked very soft along with the pumpkin flesh. I do not mind that. If you do not like that, remove skin.
You may use homemade yogurt or store bought yogurt. Use only plain yogurt.
You may use slightly sour yogurt/curd if you like.
Go to Raita recipes
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From pumpkin raita recipe