Pumpkin fritters recipe
Bhopla bajji - Kaddu ki bhajjia
Bhopla bhajji or kaddu ki bhajiya or pumpkin fritters recipe is very easy to make.
Pumpkin fritters are served as a side dish or as a snack.
Pumpkin is known as bhopla(Marathi), Kaddu(Hindi), Kumbalkai (Kannada). Pumpkin is easily available in India at all time in the year.
You may use red pumpkin or yellow/white pumpkin for this subji. Both types of pumpkin
taste good in this dish.
How to make Pumpkin fritters - Bhopla bajji - kaddu ki bhajjia
Main ingredients for Pumpkin fritters - Bhopla bajji - kaddu ki bhajjia
Pumpkin - Bhopla - Kaddu
Ingredients for pumpkin Pumpkin fritters - Bhopla bajji - kaddu ki bhajjia
- Pumpkin – 250 gms
- Salt – 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Red chili powder - 3/4 to 1 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Haldi/turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Besan - 1 cup
- Hing / asafetida - a pinch
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Step by step instructions for making pumpkin fritters
Preparation for making Pumpkin fritters - Bhopla bajji - kaddu ki bhajjia
- Wash pumpkin under running water.
- Remove skin with a peeler or a sharp knife.
- Cut pumpkin in (about two inch wide square/ rectangle or triangle) thin pieces, according to your liking.
- Keep aside and mix the batter according to the instructions given below.
Making pumpkin Pumpkin fritters - Bhopla bajji - kaddu ki bhajjia
- Take besan, red chili powder, salt, haldi, hing in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add water a little at a time and make batter for the fritters, (dosa batter consistancy) as you normally do for bhajjiya / fritters.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- When oil is hot, add a tablespoon of hot oil to the besan batter and mix well.
- Dip pumpkin pieces in besan batter to coat evenly.
- Put each piece carefully in the hot oil and deep fry till it gets golden brown all over.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spatula and drain well.
- Place on an absorbent paper. Serve hot.
Good for party or a snack.
Tips and variations
Use black pepper powder instead of red chili powder or fresh chilies for variation.
You may add other spices according to your liking to the besan batter such as ajwain, garam masala etc.