Beetroot Akki Rotti - Rice Flour Bread
Rice Flour Flat bread with beetroot
Breakfast recipe from Karnataka
Beet root akki Rotti - Rice Flour Bread Recipe with step by step photoes.
This is one of the variation on akki rotti, from easy rice flour
recipes from Karnataka. It has the beautiful color of the beetroot.
Beet Akki rotti
is served as a breakfast dish with coconut chutney or with a curry. A
spoonful of ghee
or a blob of homemade butter adds to the taste of this rice roti.
can mix the dough and
keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days and use it when you want.
There are a few variations of this akki rotti such as mixed vegetable akki rotti, masala akki rotti, cabbage akki roti, plain akki rotti etc.
How to make Beetroot Akki Rotti - Rice Flour Bread
Main ingredients for Beetroot akki rotti - rice flour flat bread
Beetroot - beet
Onions - Pyaj - Kanda
Grated fresh coconut
Ingredients: to make 3-4 Akki Rotti - Rice Flour Breads
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Cooked and grated beetroot - 1 cup
- Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon or to taste.
- cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp.
- Water - to mix dough
- Oil for cooking - 2 tsps
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tablespoons.
- green chilli(optional) - 1 finely chopped or 1/4 tsp chili paste
Making beetroot akki rotti - rice flour flat bread with beet
- Add rice flour, cooked and grated beetroot, chopped onions, chili, cumin seeds,
coconut, coriander leaves, salt in a bowl.
- Mix well.
Ingredients for beetroot akki rotti
Step 2 :
- Add water little by little and form into a dough
ball. It should not be too soft or too tight.
- Divide the dough in 3-4 big balls.
Step 3 :
- On a girdle(tava), add some oil. Smear the tava with oil.
- Place one beetroot dough ball on the tava and pat it into a round , thick or thin roti as you want, as shown in the image below.
- Make a few holes in the roti with your forefinger.
- Add a few drops of oil on the roti in the holes(optional).
Cooking beetroot akki rotti :
- Cover the roti with a lid.
- Place the tava on high flame for a minute.
- After one minute, reduce the flame to medium and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and see if the roti has lightly browned edges where you made some holes.
- Turn the roti with a spatula.
- Cook on the other side for 1/2 minute.
- The quantity of beetroot may be increased or reduced according to your liking and availability.
- Adding fresh coconut makes roti soft and tasty too. You can add that according to your taste or omit it.
- Let the flame be high for the first minute so that the tava heats fast. If the flame is too low from the beginning, the roti may become hard.
- Lift the lid and check how much it is done in between. Take care not to let the rotti burn. I like it browned.
- If you like your rotti with a crisp bottom, like I do, reduce flame after the first minute and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- If you like soft rotti, cook on high flame for a minute on both sides and remove.
Enjoy beet akki rotti.