Aloo roti - Potato flat bread recipe
Indian potato flat bread recipe
Aloo roti Potato flat bread is one popular Indian Bread recipe.This is a quicker version of stuffed aloo paratha.
Stuffed aloo paratha needs more potatoes and a little bit more work. So I make aloo roti when I am short of potatoes or when I want to use less amount of potato.
Aloo roti can be part of breakfast, lunch or dinner or as a snack. It is easy to
Aloo roti - Indian potato flat bread
You can prepare the dough in advance. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. You
need only a few minutes to make rotis as and when you want.
Serve Aloo roties with pickle, curry, or just with plain yogurt. It can be a one dish meal too.
Aloo roti can be served hot from the girdle or at room temperature. So you can take it for lunch to office or school or for a picnic.
How to make Potato Bread - Aloo roti
Ingredients for aloo roti - Flat potato bread
Whole wheat flour
Cilantro - coriander leaves - hara dhania
boiled potatoes - aloo
green chilies - hari mirch
Ingredients for Aloo roti - Potato flat bread
- Potatoes - 2 large
- Coriander(cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Green chili paste - 1.2 tsp
- Garlic paste(optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- oil- 1 tbsp
- water - for forming the dough
- Oil or ghee for cooking
Prepare aloo roti dough
- Boil potatoes. Mash them finely. (I use a grater to grate them and then it is easier to mash).
- Chop coriander leaves finely.
- Add green chili paste, ginger paste, garlic
paste, salt, coriander leaves to mashed potatoes. Mix well.
mashed potato with coriander, chili
- Mix whole wheat flour with the mashed potato mix.
- Add water little by little to form a dough ball. You do not need a lot of water.
- Knead well. Keep aside for 20 min.
- Knead again after 20 minutes and divide the dough in big lime sized balls.
Making Aloo roti - Potato flat bread.
- Take one dough ball. Dip it in dry flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the board and put the dough ball on it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll a small round.
- Roll lightly the roti in to a thick circle.
Sprinkle a little dry flour when necessary so that it doesn't stick to the board.
- Heat a girdle and place the roti on the hot girdle.
- Add a little oil on it. When it has light brown spots on one side, turn it using a spatula.
- Cook it on the other side till it has golden brown spots.Take off the girdle.
- Prepare all the rotis in the same way.
hot with any curry, pickle , tomato ketchup
or a cup of Curds(plain yogurt).
- Add water carefully. Make a tight dough in the beginning.
- You may keep the dough in the fridge for 2-3 days and make alu roti when you want.
- Or you may make the alu rotis and keep them in the fridge wrapped ziplock bags for 3-4 days. Heat and eat when you want.