bhindi subji okra stir fry recipe
Indian okra recipe
bhindi subji okra stir fry recipe is a Indian vegetable side dish recipe. Okra is also known as ladies
In Indian languages okra is known as bhindi
(hindi), bhendi (marathi), bendekai (Kannada), bendakaya (Telugu),
vendakkai (Tamil) etc.
You will like this okra stir fry if you like bhindi / okra.
This is a easy okra recipe and it is served with breads like chapati, roti, nan, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti).
You may serve this bhindi subji / okra stir fry hot or at room temperature, so you can make it in advance.
Makes a great side dish when you are expecting guests.
For this recipe we use tender okra or bhindi.
How to make bhindi subji okra stir fry recipe
Ingredients for bhindi subji okra stir fry recipe for 2-3 persons
tender fresh bhindi - okra
- Chopped okra/ bhindi - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely.
- Sugar or jaggery - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
- Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 tbsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
Ingredients for tempering:
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
- Green/red chili (optional) - 1 or 2 slit lengthwise
- Hing (asafetida) 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Making bhindi subji okra stir fry recipe
Chop okra / ladies finger / bhindi after cutting the tops.
Chop in rounds or small pieces as shown below.
chopped bhindi - okra
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add split green/red chili(if adding), fry for a few seconds.Add hing, curry leaves, urad dal (if adding).
Add chopped bhindi. Keep heat medium and keep stir frying till
the stickiness of bhindi goes away. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
Bhindi/ okra will shrink in size and change color too. The stickiness will reduce too as you keep frying okra. It will also start to become brownish at the edges.
When bhindi has cooked to your liking, add red chili powder and salt, turmeric powder, jaggery/sugar according to taste. Add coconut and garam masala if adding. Mix well.
Cook for another 4-5 minutes stirring and taking care it does not stick to bottom.
Take off flame.
Bhindi subji / okra stir fry is ready to serve.
This is served at room temperature or cold.
chapatti or bhakri (jowar / sorghum flat bread).
- Make sure okra is completely dry before you cut it. If there is any moisture, bhindi will become sticky or will take longer to fry.
- Do not cover the pan when you are stir frying bhindi.
- The volume of bhendi reduces almost to half after it is cooked. You can stir fry the okra in large quantity and keep in
the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Take the desired quantity, add the tempering
and the yogurt when serving. Your bhindi bharta is ready. Saves time.
- You can store this stirfry bhindi subji in the fridge. It will keep for 2-3 days.
- You can make this for a party too.
- You may add a tbsp of raw chopped onion to the tempering before adding chopped bhindi.
- You can also add dry red chili instead of green chili.
- You may add some dhania jeera powder along with red chili powder.
You might like these
ivy gourd tendli subzi tondli bhaji recipe. Ivy gourd is known as tondli, tendli, tindora, tonde kai, kovakkai, donda kaya etc. in Indian languages.
spring onion dry subji recipe, hare pyaj ki sabji, kanda paat bhaji, patichya kandyachi bhaji, कांदा पात भाजी, हरे प्याज की सब्जी
bottlegourd doodhi lauki chana dal subji, ghiya subzi, laucki, opo squash, bengal gram
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.