Besan burfi recipe - Indian dessert
Besan barfi - Indian sweet with Bengal gram - Chickpea flour
Besan burfi recipe
is a traditional Indian sweet or dessert. Though the ingredients are
similar to besan laddo, the taste, consistency, shape is different as the cooking process is different.
besan burfi and besan laddoos are easy to make but besan barfi takes
less time to make as there is no time needed to make the balls as with
The shelf life of besan barfi is long and so it is a preferred sweet
during the festivals such as diwali and at parties or at any other time
when you need to make a lot of dishes.
You can make besan barfi a few days in advance and serve it later.
How to make besan burfi - Gram flour barfi
Ingredients for besan burfi
Main ingredients for besan barfi
Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 cups besan(bengal gram flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup ghee
- dry fruits such as kaju, badam(Almonds/ cashew nut ) pieces - to decorate
- Ilaichi (Cardamom) powder - 1/2 tsp
Method to make besan barfi
- Grease a plate with a little ghee. Keep aside
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan. Add ghee and besan.
- Roast the besan in ghee on low flame for about 10-15 minutes or
until the raw smell goes and you start getting a good aroma. The color
of the mixture will change to very light brown. Do not let it get dark
brown, it will taste bitter.
- In another pan, add sugar and water. Bring to a boil and cook for
5-8 minutes or until the syrup reaches two threads consistency.
- Add this sugar syrup to the roasted besan and ghee and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder. Mix well.
- If you wish, you may add half the cashew almond pieces to this mix now.
- Pour this mixture into a greased tray. garnish with almond and cashew nut pieces.
- Let cool completely for 1-2 hours or longer if necessary.
- Remove the pieces carefully and Store in an airtight container.
- Vegans(those who do not want to use ghee, a dairy product) can use pure edible coconut oil for roasting and greasing the plate.
The taste and flavor will change accordingly.
- Take care while roasting the flour. The flame should be low.
Roasting on high flame will give color fast but it will still taste raw.
It may also taste bitter.
Go to Indian Sweets recipes
From besan burfi recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From besan burfi recipe