Rice pudding recipes - Rice Kheer recipes
Indian rice pudding recipe
Looking for rice pudding recipes
? This Indian rice pudding recipe (rice kheer recipe)
is a simple and easy to make. It is made on all occasions, celebrations
including religious ceremonies.
This rice pudding is a creamy, fragrant dessert liked by all.
make it well in advance and keep it in fridge for a week.
serve it hot or cold.
Basmati rice kheer - Indian Rice pudding
Make it rich and tasty by using a combination on dry fruits and nuts and
seeds such as almonds, cashews, pistachios, melon seeds, raisins, dates etc.
Use leftover rice to make this if you wish.
I am using basmati rice, the long grained fragrant rice for this recipe but you can
use any rice of your choice that will cook soft.
Using basmati rice adds flavor to the pudding.
Use a thick bottomed deep pan. You may use a non stick pan.
How to make Indian Rice Pudding - Rice Kheer
Main ingredients for Rice kheer - Rice pudding
Ingredients for rice kheer for 4 servings:
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice
- 4 cups whole Milk
- 4 tbsp sugar (more or less
according to taste)
- 1 tsp Raisins
- 2 tbsp mixture of nuts chopped (
almonds, cashew, Pistachios etc )
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- A pinch
Step by step instructions for Cooking Rice Pudding - rice kheer:
- Wash rice.
- Mix rice and milk together in a deep heavy bottom pan and heat till it starts boiling.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer till rice is cooked and the mixture is thick.
- Keep stirring once in a while to
prevent rice sticking to the bottom and the sides.
- When it is thick and creamy, add sugar, cardamom powder, raisins and chopped nuts.
- Cook for 10 min more. Remember it will thicken still further when cool.
- Rice kheer or rice pudding is ready.
Serve it hot or cold or at room temperature.
Watch out for more rice pudding recipes.
Tips for flavoring and garnishing:
- You can reduce the cooking time (the time for thickening milk)
by adding your favorite condensed milk after the rice is cooked. For
the above recipe, use (2 cups milk + 1 can Condensed Milk) instead of 4
cups milk. you may not need to add sugar if you are using sweetened
- You can flavor this pudding with powdered cardamom or
any preferred essence of your choice.
- You may also use any food color to
color this rice pudding but I like the light pinkish
- Traditionally this pudding is garnished with silver foil.
- You may
decorate it with your favorite nuts if you wish.
- You can use leftover
rice to make this rice pudding.
- If adding rose essence, use rose petals
for garnishing the pudding.
- Keep in mind that the Kheer mixture will
thicken as it cools. It will thicken still further when you put it in
- Adjust the Kheer consistency according to your preference.