Tomato Jam Recipe
This tomato jam recipe
is easy to make. When tomatoes are available in plenty, you are bound
to look for tomato recipes. You can make this tomato jam at that time.
You can preserve it and use when you want.
Select tomatoes that are pulpier. That will reduce the cooking time. You may also use a mixture of pulpy
and juicy tomatoes.
There is no need to remove the seeds and skin from tomatoes for this tomato jam recipe. I feel that adds to
taste and consistency. But if you prefer to remove tomato skin, scroll down for instructions to remove tomato skin.
How to make tomato jam at home
Main ingredients for tomato jam
Ingredients for tomato jam to make about 2-3 cups
- Tomatoes finely chopped - 6 cups
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups according
to sweetness required.
- lime juice - 2 tbsp
- Apple seeds removed and chopped
- ginger freshly grated - 1 tsp
- cinnamon (powder) - 1/2
- cloves ground - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - 1 tsp
Step by step instructions for tomato jam
- Take a thick bottomed and thick sided pot.
- Add chopped tomatoes, apple and 1 1/2 cup sugar in it and place on the stove on high heat.
- Cook and Stir till all the sugar melts.
- Take it onto a spoon and taste for sweetness. If you want more sweet add more sugar and cook till sugar melts.
- Add lime juice. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add ginger, ground cinnamon and cloves.
- Continue cooking till it thickens to desired consistency. This may
take 30 - 40 minutes more. The time will depend on the pulpiness and
the juiciness of your tomatoes. Remember it will thicken a little more
when completely cool.
- Switch off and let the jam cool completely.
- Fill your jars.
Serve with your favorite bread. You may also serve it with the Indian breads below.
Tips and variations
You can try the following variations for a different taste.
add more ginger add garlic paste. add cumin powder.
- To make a spicy
version on tomato jam you may add red chili flakes or red chili powder -
1 tsp or more
according to your taste.
- You can make similar jam recipes with other
Do use this tomato jam recipe.
Let me know how it came out and if you made any additions. Contact here.
How to Remove tomato skins easily? How to blanch tomatoes?
- Put water in a big pot to boil. Take enough water to cover all the tomatoes.
- Cut the top slice from the stem side of the tomatoes.
- Give a
cross cut only on the skin of other side of the tomatoes(do not give a
- When the water starts to boil,
all the tomatoes in the water. Switch the heat off. Cover the pot.
the tomatoes in the water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the hot
water and put them in a pot with cold water. Leave for 5 minutes.
out and now you can peel the skin off the tomatoes very
easily by starting at the slit end.
- Remove skin from all the tomatoes.
Go to find more tomato recipes
Go to vegetable recipes
From Tomato jam recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Tomato jam recipe