Aloo Paratha Recipe
Indian flat bread with
Fenugreek leaves and potato
methi aloo paratha recipe is a one of the healthy ways to add greens to
your diet. This is a good dish to have it for breakfast lunch or
It is also a good one to pack and take in the lunch box. You may
also add it to the picnic basket as it can be served cold too.
aloo paratha is a easy recipe. If you like parathas you will love this
Methi aloo paratha can be served with any curry, pickle, chutney, butter
or ghee or yogurt.
Though this looks similar to methi paratha, it is
softer than that.
Methi here refers to is fresh fenugreek leaves. You may use canned
fenugreek leaves if you cannot get fresh ones.
For this recipe, we use only the green
leaves of fenugreek plant. We do not use the stems. You may use the stems in your dal or along with another subji.
to make fenugreek leaves and potato flat bread - Methi Aloo Paratha?
Main ingredients for Methi aloo paratha
Ingredients to make 6 parathas:
Fresh Methi - Fenugreek leaves
whole wheat flour - Atta
Potato - Batata
Whole wheat flour -2 cups.
- Fresh methi(fenugreek) leaves - 1 cup.
- Oil or
melted butter - 2 tbsp.
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water for forming dough.
- Potato - 1 cup mashed (after
- Coriander(cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Oil or butter for
- Garlic paste - 1/4
- green chili paste - 1/2 tsp, if you like extra hotness.
Cleaning methi / fenugreek leaves
Clean the methi leaves by washing them in a bowlful of water and then
put in a colander.
Hold the colander under running water and then wash
using your fingers. Keep aside to drain.
Step by step instructions to make methi aloo paratha
Chop methi leaves finely.
In a heated pan, add 1 tsp oil. Add the chopped methi leaves. Mix and cover with a lid.
Cook for 2 minutes.
This is is how the methi leaves look after cooking.
Peel boiled potatoes and mash them.
Add whole wheat flour, salt, finely mashed potato, chopped methi (fenugreek) leaves, red chili powder, cumin/jeera seeds, oil or butter to a bowl.
Add water little by little and form dough.
Do not add too much
water. Let it be a little tight.
- Knead well, Cover and leave aside for
- After that knead again and then make 6 round balls.
- Take each ball, dip in dry flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the
board. Place the dough ball on it and roll out into a thick round of
about 4-6 inches.
- Heat girdle - tava - skillet.
- After it is heated well, turn heat to medium.
- Put the paratha round on the tava. Cook for 5-8 seconds.
- Turn again. Sprinkle a little oil or butter or ghee.
- Cook on both the sides
adding a little oil or melted butter if you wish. Both the sides should have brown spots
- Apply a little ghee or butter on top if you wish.
Serve hot by itself or with any curry, pickle and yogurt or tomato ketchup .
Tips and variations
I usually grate the boiled and cooled potato. Then it is easier to mash
- You can make the dough and keep in the fridge for 2-3
days and quickly make parathas as and when you want.
- You can add garam
masala , til(sesame seeds), jeera powder(cumin powder), grated onion for
variation to this recipe.
- Adding oil while cooking is optional.
parathas covered till serving time. This will keep them soft.