Chickpeas Kabuli Chana Sundal Recipe - Ghugri
Kabuli chana - Garbanzo Beans recipe for Navaratri / Ganesh Festival
White Chickpeas kabuli chana sundal recipe/ Garbanzo beans recipe
for you. It is known as 'sundal' in Tamil and 'gugari / ghugari' in
is a south Indian festival recipe made in Karnataka, Tamil nadu. This
stir fried or the sautéed chickpeas recipe is made in south India
during festival times. It is great as a snack at any other time too.
During the Ganapati festival as well as 10 day dasara festival and other festivals, this sundal / gugri / sauteed chickpea dish is made.
It is offered
to the deity as 'Naivedya' and then distributed to the devotees as prasad.
Dry kabuli chana - Garbanzo beans - White chickpeas
For the sundal recipe given below, you can use precooked canned chick peas or dry chickpeas for this recipe.
If you are using the dry chickpeas, you will need to soak and pre cook your chickpeas.
For step by stem instructions to soak dry chickpeas and cook them, go to How to cook chickpeas first.
If you have precooked chickpeas in your fridge or you are using canned chickpeas, you are ready to start the next steps.
If using canned chickpeas, drain water and use.
I used here dry white chickpeas - Garbanzo beans - Kabuli chana. I soaked and cooked according to instructions given on the above
How to make stir fried Chickpeas - Ghugri - Sundal
Ingredients for stir fried chickpeas - kabuli chana Sundal - Ghugari
Soaked and cooked chickpeas - Kabuli chana
- Cooked Chickpeas - 1 cup
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Coriander (Cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing (asafotida) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8 - 10
- Green chili - 1 or 2 slit in pieces or chopped finely
- Black Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- sugar(optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut (optional) - 2-3 tbsp
Making Stir fried chickpeas - Gugri - Sundal
- Heat oil in a pan. Keep heat low.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let
- Add hing (asafotida), curry leaves
- Add chickpeas. stir.
- Add all the other ingredients except lime juice. Cook for 5 minutes while
- Add lime juice, chopped cilantro and mix well.
Kabuli chana sundal is ready. Serve hot or cold.
- You can refrigerate and use chana sundal for 3-4 days. It is good
to eat at a snack or as a side dish for any meal.
- You may add desiccated coconut instead of fresh grated coconut.
Traditionally, small coconut pieces are added to sundal or ghugari.
- You can also make ghugari with other lentil varieties such as chana
dal, whole mung beans or split mung
dal, brown chickpeas or black eyed beans.
- The soaking time will differ
for all types of lentils, it will be less than chickpeas. It can also be
made with peanuts.
Go to Cooking tips from Chickpea Kabuli Chana sundal recipe
Go to Chickpea Recipes from Chickpea kabuli Chana sundal recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page