Adai - Yadni - lentil dal dosa recipe
Split green lentil - moong dal dosa
South Indian pancake recipe
Adai or yadni is split green lentil dal dosa or moong dal dosa - pancake is a South Indian recipe.
It is a breakfast recipe. This is known as yadni in North Karnataka and as adai in other parts of South India. Now a days, it is made in other states too.
Adai/yadni is healthy and easy to make. Adai, made with mung dal, split green lentil has attractive color.
How to make Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa
Main ingredients for Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa
Ingredients for Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa
- Split moong (green gram) dal - 1 cup
- Green chili - 1 or 2 according to taste
- Ginger - a small piece
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste
- Fresh curry leaves - 4-5
- Fresh coriander(cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp chopped fine.
- Raw rice - 1 tbsp
- Split Urad dal (without skin) - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal (split skinless chickpeas) - 1 or 2 tbsp
I sometimes add these optional ingredients or make yadni only with moong dal. Usually adai is soft. Adding chana dal makes adai a little crisp. So add 2 tbsp for making it crisp if you wish.
Step by step instructions for making Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa
Preparing Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa batter
- Take green gram (mung - moong) dal on a plate and remove any impurities such as small stones or sticks, if any.
- Add moong dal, urad dal and rice(if adding) in a bowl and wash well.
- Soak in about 2 1/2 cups of water for 6-8 hours. After soaking, each grain will swell up.
- After soaking time is over, drain out the water into another container and keep aside.
- Add moong dal mix, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves to the mixer jar and run the mixer for a few seconds.
- Add 1/4 th cup water and grind again. Grind till you get a smooth batter. Add water only as much is needed.
- When the batter is ground to a fine consistency, take out into a large bowl.
- Add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa batter is ready. You may make adai immediately after grinding. You may ferment it for 2-4 hours if you wish. But that is not a must.
Cooking Adai - yadni, moong dal dosa
- Add chopped dhania(coriander) leaves to the batter. Mix well.
- Heat a frying pan / a tava. Once it is hot, keep heat medium.
- Take a ladleful of Adai batter to the hot pan and spread into a thin circle. Make it as thick or thin as you want. The batter spreads very easily.
- Let cook for a few seconds. Add a few drops of oil on top of adai while it is cooking.
- Turn to the other side after one side is done.
- Let the other side cook for a few seconds and then take adai off the pan.
- Make other adai in the same way.
Adai - yadni - moong dal dosa is ready to eat.
Serve with coconut chutney or any other chutney of your choice. You may visit more chutney recipes.
Tips and variations
You may add some chopped onion to the batter or you may sprinkle onion on the adai as soon as it is spread on the tava.
You may add some butter instead of oil while adai is cooking.
Serve with ghee, chutney and curry of your choice.
to Breakfast Recipes Page from Adai yadni mixed lentil dal dosa Recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Site Home from split moong dal dosa Recipe