Castiron cookware - Popular kitchen cookware
Cast iron cookware has been traditionally in use as kitchen cookware
for cooking home meals for long.
ovens, frying pans, deep fryers, woks, girdles, grills are made with
Even though nonstick cookware is becoming popular because it
is more convenient to maintain, the popularity of cast iron cookware
New cast iron tava
seasoned cast iron dosa/pancake tava
Advantages of castiron cookware:
- Cast iron is eco friendly and natural.
- It is chemical free, a very good alternative to non-stick cookware.
- Cast iron cookware can be used on the stove, in the oven, over a wood fire, gas stove.
- It is very sturdy, and strong. Can last for generations.
- It retains heat well. So it is a common choice for
- It can withstand and maintain very high cooking temperature.
- There are also health benefits of cooking food in cast iron vessels.
- It can supply you iron to some extent. It is good for those with iron deficiency or to
those who are anemic, especially when acidic foods are cooked it, such as tomato based dishes.
- It is easier to clean.
- It is durable and can last for many years compared to aluminum cookware.
- Cast iron cookware can be used for a variety of
purposes, such as browning, frying, stewing and even for baking.
- It is inexpensive compared to stainless steel
cookware and aluminum cookware.
- It helps to cook the food evenly.
- The pot and pans can be used on the stove top, in the
ovens and grills too.
- Cast iron cookware does not peel or crack like non stick pans.
cast iron kadai
Other facts about cast iron cookware
- Cast iron cookware needs to be seasoned so that it wouldn't rust and to
make it a nonstick surface for easy cooking.
Cooking oils and fats are used for seasoning cookware.
- Some people prefer not to wash the cast-iron cookware with
that may remove the seasoning. They prefer to wipe it with a cloth.
- Cast iron is not good for those who
have excess iron issues.
- Cast iron cookware is heavier too.
- Some prefer to wash it with hot water and a brush. Not washing can turn
the oil layer (used while seasoning) rancid after
a long time. So I think it is better to wash it with mild soap and
water at least after a few uses, once in a while and then re-season it with oil.
About Enameled cast iron
enamel coating prevents rusting and there is no need to season the
- These enameled cast-iron utensils are also easy to clean.
- They are also available in different
Some disadvantages of using the enamel
coated cast iron.
- It is more expensive.
- It is not as beneficial as bare
cast iron (does not give your iron).
- It also can not withstand the
- The enamel coating may come off after some time.