Semolina - Sooji - Rava roti
Sooji or rava roti is a part of South Indian
cuisine. Easy to make, it needs just four ingredients. Sooji / suji is also known as Semolina or cream of wheat.
Rava roti can be served at breakfast time as well as for any other meal. Serve it with your favorite chutney or curry.
Chapati or phulka is commonly made in many Indian houses everyday. There is also the rice roti or paratha. Try this rava roti for a change. It is easy to make.
You may store this sooji roti dough in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and you can make sooji ki roti when ever you want.
How to make Sooji or rava roti
Main ingredients for Sooji or rava roti
You may use upma rava or chiroti rava(fine rava) to make these roties.
Rava - sooji - semolina
whole wheat flour
Ingredients for instant rava roti for 2 persons
- Rava (sooji, semolina) - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Water - 1 cup, more or less as needed
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp
Whole wheat flour(atta) or plain flour(maida) - 1 tbsp
How to make rava roti dough
- Add water to a thick bottom pan.
- Add salt and oil to the water. Stir till salt dissolves. Bring to boil.
- Add semolina/sooji/rava to water. Stir well so that there are no lumps. Rava will absorb the water quickly and become thick. Keep the flame low.
- Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir once in between to make sure that the dough does not stick to the bottom.
- Switch the flame off and let the pan cool for 10-15 minutes or till it is easy to handle.
- Add a tbsp of whole wheat flour(atta) or plain flour(maida) to the cooked sooji mix.
- Take a few drops of oil on your hand and knead the dough well to form a smooth dough ball.
- Divide the dough to form large lime sized balls. Keep covered till you are ready to make roties.
Making - Cooking semolina - rava roties
Keep in mind that the dough is very soft so handle with care while rolling.
a little atta or maida on your board. Apply a little flour to your rolling pin too.
- Dip a dough ball in dry flour and
keep it on the board. Roll in to a thin circle. Sprinkle dry flour in between if necessary.
a tava / frying pan. Keep heat medium .
- Carefully put the rolled roti
on the tava. Cook for a few seconds till the top changes color, and then, turn the
- Cook the other side till brown spots appear. Turn sides and
cook till brown spots appear on both the sides.
- When properly cooked, take off the pan and store in a container.
Make all the roties in the same way.
These roties remain soft even when they are cool.
Serving suggestions for Rava roti
Serve rava roti with coconut chutney or curry leaf chutney or any other chutney of your choice.
It also tastes good with curries such as vegetable saagu, veg curry , avial , potato saagu etc.
You may serve a little ghee, butter or plain yogurt with rava roti.
Serve it with your favorite pickle or dry chutney powder.
If you like it, serve it with a favorite jam or marmalade.
Tips for making semolina - sooji - rava roti
You may or may not add a few drops of oil on the sides of rotti while it is cooking. Usually these roties do not need added oil,
but the choice is yours. Oil adds to the taste.
You may cook all the roties and keep in a airtight container in the fridge. Just reheat on a heated pan or in microwave just before serving.
Go to Breakfast recipes
from Rava roti recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home from Rava roti recipe