Rice Rava Khandvi Khantoli Recipe
Nagpanchami recipe - also known as sanjori
Rice rava khandvi or khantoli is a Maharashtrian recipe from the coastal Konkan area. It is also known as Sanjori.
Khandvi/khantoli is easy to make and takes just about 10-15 minutes. Khandvi is generally made for the Nagpanchami festival.
Khandvi or khantoli is made with rice rava / rice sooji / rice semolina.
My mother usually makes it on a Nagpanchami day and she calls it khantoli.
Khandvi / khantoli is also made of other Vrat or upvas days.
This Khandavi is a sweet and is different from the gujarati khandvi which is spicy.
If you are looking for making a quick sweet, make khandvi.
You may make and keep it in fridge for 2-3 days.
Rice rava is available in grocery shops but traditionally, this rice rava for khandvi, is made at home. You may also use the idli rava which is available in shops.
The process of making rice rava is easy but a bit time consuming. You can make rice rava a few days in advance and use it to make khandvi or rice rava upma.
Scroll down to find the instructions to make rice rava at home.
Khandvi - Khantoli
How to make Rice Rava Khandvi Khantoli
Main ingredients for Rice Rava Khandvi - Khantoli
Rice rava - broken rice
Ghee - clarified butter
Jaggery - Gud - Brown sugar
Ingredients for khandvi - sanjori - khantoli for 2-3 servings
- Rice rava - 1 cup
- Jaggery / gud -3/4 cup, more or less according to taste
- Water - 2 to 2 2/1 cups, as needed
- Ghee / clarified butter - 2 tbsp
- Scraped fresh coconut or grated copra - 3 tbsp or more
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh ginger - Paste or finely grated
- Nutmeg powder - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making khandvi - khantoli
- Grease a plate with a few drops of ghee and keep aside.
jaggery and 2 cups water in a pan and bring to boil.
- Stir once in a
while till jaggery dissolves. Switch off the stove. Keep aside.
- Heat a thick bottom pan on medium heat.
- Add ghee and rice rava to it.
- Roast rava for 4-5 minutes.
- Let it just change the color a bit. You can see the roasted rice rava in the image.
- Add the jaggery / water mix which you kept aside to roasted rice rava.
- Strain the dissolved jaggery water onto the roasted rava. Keep the flame low and continue cooking.
- Rava will absorb the water fast and fluff up.
- When all the water is absorbed and the mixture is almost dry, take a few grains between your thumb and index finger and press to check if rava is properly cooked.
- If it is not yet completely cooked, add some water and allow it to cook till done. Rava should be properly cooked.
- Add half the scraped coconut and keep aside the remaining half to add on the top.
- Add cardamom powder. Mix well.
Khandvi - Khantoli - Sanjori
- Pour the cooked mixture into the greased plate and flatten with the back of your spatula or your palm.
the remaining coconut on this flattened surface and pat a little so
that it will stick.
- Let it cool for 20-30 minutes. Cut into square or diamond shape.
Khandvi / khantoli is ready to eat. Serve warm or at room temperature along with a few drops of ghee.
Tips and variations
Rice rava takes a bit longer time and needs more water compared to wheat rava(semolina/ upma rava).
Store leftover khantoli in the fridge and you can eat it for the next 2-3 days.
You may add ginger paste or nutmeg powder along with cardamom powder for flavor and taste.
Khantoli is usually made with jaggery but if you wish, you may add sugar instead of jaggery. Color and taste will change accordingly.
How to make rice rava at home
Rice rava is usually made with the regular white rice that you use for making rice.
- Wash the rice well till water runs clear.
- Drain the rice well and spread it on a cotton cloth.
- Let the rice dry in shade for 3-4 hours. Do not put it in the sun to dry.
- After rice has dried for 3-4 hours, grind it in a mixer/blender. Grind it to a coarse powder.
- Sieve the ground rice and separate the fine powder. The coarse powder is known as rice rava and may be used to make khandvi or rice rava upma.
The sieved fine powder may be used in other recipe.
Go to Indian sweets from rice rava khandvi khantoli sanjori page
Go to Indian vegetarian recipes homepage