Red Rice Poha Healthy Breakfast Recipe
Red Aval - Rice flakes
Red rice Poha is a healthier version on the popular Indian breakfast dish
made with rice flakes(also known as aval, chivda or pohe, beaten rice). It is also served as a evening snack.
Red rice Aval - poha is made with red rice, which is considered to be more nutritious compared to white rice poha. Poha is also know as beaten rice. It is a convenience food .
It is made from red rice which is beaten or pressed / flattened.
Aval is a very versatile ingredient as many recipes can be made using aval. You may use thick or medium
aval for this recipe.
Click here to watch recipe on Youtube - Red Rice poha - Riceflakes recipe.
How to make Red Rice Poha healthy breakfast
Ingredients for Red Rice Poha for 2-3 servings
- Red Poha (aval / rice flakes) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 medium sized. You need about 1/2 cup chopped onion.
- Green chilies - 2-3, more if you like spicy
- Ginger - paste or finely chopped - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp
- Tomato - 1/4 cup chopped tomato.
- Rai / mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing / asafetida - a pinch
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder(optional) - 1 pinch
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Hara dhania/ coriander / cilantro leaves - 1 small bunch
Preparation before making Red Rice Poha
Add medium or thick poha / aval in a colander and hold it under running water.
- Or else, you can wash aval
in a bowl and remove all water.
Here you can see I have added red poha to a bowl.
I wash poha twice by adding water and lightly rubbing with my fingers.
- If you like softer poha, you may leave a tablespoon of water in the washed poha/beaten rice.
- Keep aside for about 10 minutes.
While the beaten rice is soaking,
- Chop onion, tomato, ginger, coriander leaves.
- Chop green chilies in big pieces or slit in two. Or use green chili and ginger paste as I do.
- Add salt, sugar to the washed and soaked rice flakes.
- Add a pinch of black pepper powder, if adding. Mix well.
- If there are lumps, break them with a spoon or your fingers.
- Keep aside till further use.
Cooking Red Rice Poha:
- Heat oil in a deep pan / kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing.
- When they crackle add chopped onion.
- add turmeric powder.
- If adding chopped green chili and ginger, add now. I am adding pastes later.
- Mix and let cook for 2 minutes or till onions changes color (become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green peas, grated carrot (if adding).
- Cover kadai with a lid and cook on medium low flame for 2-3 minutes or till tomatoes start losing shape.
- Stir once in between.
- Add the soaked, mixed poha.
- Mix poha with the cooked onion/tomato.
- If poha looks too dry, sprinkle a little water.
- Place lid and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Stir once in between to make sure that poha does not get burned at the bottom.
- add fresh grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp ghee(optional).
- Ghee adds flavor and taste to poha.
- Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add 1 tsp lemon juice(optional).
Healthy red rice Poha is ready to serve.
Red rice pohe/ aval is ready to serve for breakfast or as a quick filling snack.
Serve it by itself or with pickle or chutney.
Tips for variation in making red rice poha:
You can also add mixed vegetables - green peas, potato, capsicums in addition to or instead of onions.
Do not leave too much water in the aval after washing. That will make it like a paste.
You may also like to visit
Batata poha - Aloo poha recipe.