Mooli Radish chutney recipe
A winter special mooli radish chutney recipe. Winter is the right season to make mooli chutney as radish/mooli is available in plenty.
This radish chutney stays good in the fridge for about a week. You can serve this yummy mooli chutney with chapati, paratha, dosa, uttappam, poori or plain rice.
Muli chutney can be made with or without onion and garlic according to your choice.
How to make mooli radish chutney
Ingredients for Mooli - radish chutney
- Radish/mooli - 1 cup chopped
- Tomato - 1 large chopped
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Dry red chilies - 4-5 or according to taste
- Roasted peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2-3 tsps
- jaggery - 1 tbsp or less according to taste
Optional ingredients - I added today
- Onion - 1/4 cup chopped
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- tamarind juice - 1 tsp, less if you wish
Ingredients for tempering
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-9
Step by step instructions for making mooli - radish chutney
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic(if using) and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped radish, red chilies and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring in between.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes. By this time radish / mooli is almost cooked and the tomatoes will lose their shape.
- Take the pan off from the stove. Cool to room temperature.
- Add salt, peanuts, jaggery.
- Add some tamarind juice if you like extra sourness, otherwise the tomato sourness is enough.
- Grind in a blender to a paste. Consistency may be according to you choice, rough or smooth.
Tempering for chutney
- Heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds. Add hing.
- Let the seeds splutter. add curry leaves.
- Add this tempering to the chutney and mix well.
Tips and variations
- You may or may not use onion and garlic. Chutney tastes good even without onion/garlic.
- you may use some roasted sesame seeds along with roasted peanuts.
- You may also use some dried, roasted coconut/ kopra.
- Keep chutney in the fridge and it will last for more than a week.