How to cook beets - Sauteed beets
One of the method to cook beetroot
How to cook beets in a different way
today is a question I ask myself often as I cook beetroot quite
frequently. I like to
cook beet in a different way every time.
I love beet root. I love the color it adds to my meal and it is so easy to cook.
Health Benefits of beetroot
In addition to adding color, beet is health giving.
It give us folic acid too which helps in producing body cells.
I like to cook it the different way every time. Here are some of the ways I cook beetroot.
Try out this sauteed beetroot as well as the
beet salad .
The Beetroot Halwa is a yummy sweet too.
Make sure you use tender fresh beets. If the beet leaves are tender, you may use the leaves too in this recipe. The leaves are nutritious too.
How to Cook beetroot
Ingredients for 2 - 3 servings:
- Beets - 1 1/2 cups, chopped small or thin sticks
- Vegetable oil of your choice - 1 tsp
- Cumin seed (jeera)- 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Lime juice - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 3-4 tbsp
- Freshly grated or desiccated coconut (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Beetroot leaves (optional) - washed and chopped fine
- Onion(optional) - 1/2 cup chopped fine.
Beetroot Cooking method:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seed. Let splutter.
- If using onions, add onions. Cook for 2 minutes till onions are translucent.
- Add beets. Mix well.
- Add a little water, about 1 tablespoon. Cover and cook for 5 min on low flame.
- Add the beetroot leaves if adding. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, uncover and check if beetroot is cooked to your liking. If not, cook further till just done. Add another spoon of water only if needed for further cooking.
- Once the beetroot is cooked to your liking, add salt, sugar, pepper powder and coconut (if using). Mix well.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Remove from fire and add lime juice. Mix well.
Serve hot or cold. You can serve this beet dish with plain steamed rice or any vegetable rice.
Serve it as
a side dish for any meal.
Tips for cooking beets
If you want to make it spicy, add 1 or 2 chopped green or red chilies along with chopped beets.
As a vegetable side dish, it adds color, taste and healthy nutrients to your meal.
It keeps good in the fridge for 2-3 days. You may serve it cold or hot according to your choice.