Cluster beans Gavarfali ki subzi गवार भाजी
Gavarichi bhaji - Gorikai palya - Guar
Cluster beans/ gavar subzi/ gorikayi palya recipe - Step by step video and written instructions.
Cluster beans are known as gavar, gorikai, gavarfali etc. in Indian languages.
Cluster beans subzi is made in different way and with a variety of spice mixtures. Here is one of the recipes. It is made this way in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
How to make Gavarichi bhaji - Gavarfali ki subzi
Ingredients for Gavarichi bhaji - Gavarfali ki subzi गवारीची भाजी
- Cluster beans - gavarfali - gavar - 2 cups cleaned and cut
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Haldi - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Vangi bhat masala - 2 tsp or garam masala/goda masala - 1 tsp
- Jaggery - 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut, fresh or dry - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
cluster beans - gavarfali - gavar - gorikai
cluster beans/gavar,threads removed and broken by hand
Choose tender cluster beans/gavar. Mature cluster beans may contain some threads so you first need to cut them or take them out by hand and then cut into small pieces as shown above.
Cooking cluster beans - guar subji - gavar bhaji
- Add gavar in a cooker seperator and pressure cook for one whistle.
- when the cooker has cooled, heat a pan or a kadai.
- add 1 tbsp oil. add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- when they stop spluttering, add hing, chana dal and urad dal.
- let the dals brown lightly, then add the cooked cluster beans/gavar.
- mix gavar with the tempering.
- add salt, jaggery, masala powder, chili powder, curry leaves, grated coconut and 2 tbsp water.
- mix every thing well and let cook covered for 3-4 minutes or subzi becomes dryish.
Tips and variations
- You may add the masala of your choice. Such as garam masala, goda masala, kala masala etc.
- you may add sugar instead of jaggery/gud.
- If you do not want to cook in the pressure cooker, you may cook first in a little water till just done and then add to the tempering as told above.
- Serve with chapati, roti, rice.