Akki tari uppittu - Rice rava upma recipe
South Indian broken rice upma recipe
Akki tari uppittu, rice rava upma recipe is usually made for breakfast.
Rice rava is also known as Broken rice as well as cream of rice. Rice rava is commercially available or you can also make it at home.
Upma is a
popular Indian breakfast dish originating in south India.
'Akki tari' is a Kannada word meaning 'rice rava or rice suji/sooji'.
This rice rava upma is generally made in home kitchens only. Restaurants usually serve the wheat rava upma.
It is a healthy breakfast or a filling snack.
My family loves to eat
it at lunch or dinner too.
It is a one dish meal with many vegetables
added to it.
Onions, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum etc. may be added to this.
You many add only one or a combination of vegetables to it.
I have also made it by adding cabbage or cucumber or eggplant(brinjal) to it and it tastes good too.
You can add these other vegetables if you are fasting (Vrat - Upvas) and want to avoid using onions.
You can also make vegetable masala upma by adding a variety of vegetables and your favorite masala - spice mix.
How to make Rice Rava Upma - Akki tari uppitu
Main ingredients - rice rava upma - akki tari uppittu
rice rava - akki tari
Ingredients for rice rava upma to make 3-4 servings.
- Rice Rava - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 large
- Tomato - 1 large
- Water - 2 1/2 cups, more as needed.
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp chopped fine or paste
Ingredients for tempering
- Green chili - 2 or more according to taste.
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
Making rice rava upma - akki tari uppitu
Ingredients for rice rava upma
- Chop onion and coriander leaves to small pieces.
- Chop tomato and ginger. You may use ginger paste instead of chopping.
- Grate fresh coconut
- Chop green chili in big pieces so that you can take them out once the upma is done.
Roasting rice rava - akki tari
Roasting rice rava
- Heat a a thick bottom pan.
- Add a teaspoon oil to the pan and add rice rava to it. Keep heat medium.
- Roast rava on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir continuously and do not let the rava brown.
- After rava is roasted, take the pan off the stove and keep aside.
Make tempering for rice rava upma
Make tempering for upma
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Keep heat medium.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- When the seeds stop spluttering, add chopped green chilies.
- Fry for a few seconds till chili skins look blistered.
Adding dals to the tempering
- Add chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry till both the dals is light brown.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till onion turns transparent.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- After onion has changed color, add chopped tomato and ginger (chopped or paste). I have used ginger paste.
- Mix well.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Add salt, sugar. Bring to boil.
- When water starts boiling, reduce flame to low.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes add roasted rava. The flame should be low when you are adding rava.
- Mix well so as not to let form lumps.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- When you lift the cover after cooking for 3-4 minutes, rava would have absorbed all the water and will look as in the image.
- Stir and check if rava is properly cooked by taking it between your fingers.
- If rava is not properly cooked, add another 1/2 or 3/4 cup of water and cover and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes. I needed to add 3/4 cup.
- Once the rava is properly cooked, add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Keep upma covered for 4-5 minutes if you can wait.
Serve rava upma hot.
It tastes good at room temperature too. Rava upma can be taken as a lunch to school or office.
Upma is served by itself, with pickles (mango, lime or chili pickle),
dry chutney powder or coconut chutney at home.
Served with coconut
chutney, sambar etc.
- You may roast rava in large quantities when you have time and keep it for making upma when you are in hurry. Saves time.
- Roasting rava or semolina properly while stiring on low or medium flame is important.
- If rava is not roasted well, the
uppuma will be sticky when ready.
- If rava is roasted too much and allowed to be browned, the color of uppittu will be
dark. So be careful while roasting rava.
- You can also add other vegetables chopped, potato,
cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum etc. Chop them fine and add them
according to the cooking time needed for them.
- Add capsicum last as
capsicums cook fast.
- You may omit onions if you wish.The ratio for rava to water is 1 cup rice rava and 2 1/2 cups water. You may
add more or less according to the way you like your upma. Rice rava upma needs more water.
- If serving to
elderly people, you may want to add a little more water.
- You may remove the large chili pieces before serving to kids.
- Add some ghee / clarified butter for more flavor if you like.
I am sure you will enjoy this akki tari uppittu or rice rava upma.
You might like these
bansi rava upma rave uppittu recipe, wheat rava upma, sanja rava upma
vegetable rava upma recipe is a south Indian recipe. Upma recipe is a nutririous healthy breakfast recipe or or a filling snack dish. Rava is known as semolina or cream of wheat.
Semolina or cream of wheat recipe - Rava upma recipe is a nutririous healthy breakfast recipe or or a filling snack dish. Rava is the Indian name for semolina or cream of wheat.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.