Ridge gourd dal - Dodka dhal
Luffa dhal - Turai dal
Ridge gourd dhal - Dodka dal recipe with step by step photos. Turai dal. Turiya daal.
Ridge gourd is known as Hirekai (Kannada), Beerakaya (Telugu), peerkangai(Tamil). Dodka is a Marathi word for ridge gourd.
This dodka dal / ridgegourd daal is cooked in pressure cooker. So it gets cooked fast and we need not watch it. We can attend to some other work in the kitchen.
You may also cook it in a pot or kadai / pan. In that case, we need to watch it and add water, spices etc in stages. I usually cook it directly in the pressure cooker because it is easier and faster.
Dodka dal may be served with rice or roti(chapati). This cooks quickly.
How to make ridge gourd dhal - dodka dal
Main ingredients for ridge gourd dhal - dodka dal
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- Moong dal /masoor dal / toovar dal(you may mix the dals)- 1/4 cup
- Ridge gourd / dodka - 1 1/2 cup peeled and chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium or 1/2 cup chopped
- Jaggry or sugar - 1 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Curry leaves (optional) - 4-5
- oil - 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- hing - 1/4 tsp
- water - 2 cups, more or less as per consistency needed
Peeled and chopped ridge gourd and a tomato
salt, red chili powder, curry leaves, garam masala, jaggery
Step by step instructions for making ridge gourd dhal - dodka dal - turai daal
I am using moong dal(split green gram without skin).
Wash well changing water 2-3 times and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pressure cooker/pan. I am using a 3 lt. pressure pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add hing.
- Add 1 tsp urad dal(optional).
Add the washed moong dal and all other ingredients such as spices, salt, jaggery and water.
Add chopped tomato.
- Close the pressure cooker with lid and place weight.
- Cook for 2 whistles on medium high flame.
- Let cooker cool naturally.
- When you open after the pressure is reduced, dal will look as shown in the image below.
Ridgegourd / dodka dal is ready to serve.
Tips and variations
- If you have time, let the washed dal soak for 15 minutes.
- Add chili powder, jaggery more or less as per taste.
- You may add curry leaves.
- Serve with plain rice, chapati, roti, bhakri etc.
You might like these
Kohlrabi dal is knolkohl and lentil curry. Kohlrabi or navalkol or navilkosu dal.
Spinach dal, dal palak or palak dahl is an easy one of the Indian dal recipes. Fresh spinach and lentils are used for this recipe.
This dal recipe is one of the popular lentil recipes. It is also known as tadka dal, indian lentil curry. It is served with rice or roti.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.