Instant sweet banana appam recipe
Sweet paniyaram recipe
Instant sweet banana appam recipe or Sweet paniyaram recipe is a South Indian recipe.
You may make it for breakfast or as a snack.
When you have a couple of extra bananas, a bit over ripe bananas also may be used to make these sweet appam.
Both spicy and sweet appam or paniyaram is cooked in a special pan which has round
depressions. The pans are generally round with different sizes i.e. 3,5,7,9 depressions.
Traditionally, iron or cast iron or stone pans are used to
make appam. Now non stick appam pans are available. I have an iron appam pan which works very well for me.
There is no soaking, grinding, fermenting involved in this instant banana appam recipe, which is usually needed in the spicy appam recipe.
How to make instant sweet banana appam paniyaram
Main ingredients for instant sweet banana appam
Ingredients for Instant banana sweet appam for 2-3 servings
- Rava (suji / semolina) - 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 1/2 cup
- Ripe bananas - 2-3 medium sized
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup, more or less according to taste
- Ghee or butter - 1 tbsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat flour - 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder - a pinch
- Salt - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making Instant banana sweet appam
- Add jaggery to the water and heat till jaggery dissolves. Keep aside to cool.
- Peel the bananas and add them in a bowl.
- Mash them well with a fork or a stand mixer or by hand. Bananas should become a smooth paste.
- Add ghee or butter to the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Add rice flour, rava (semolina) and whole wheat flour(if adding) to the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Strain the jaggery water over the rava mixture. Mix everything together.
- Add the flavors, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder if adding.
- Mix everything well and keep aside for 15-20 minutes. The water will be absorbed and the mix will thicken a little.
- Check consistency after 15 minutes. It should be of thick pouring consistency.
- Add the baking soda powder and mix well.
- The appam batter is ready.
Cooking sweet banana appam
- Heat the appam pan on medium heat. Add a little oil or ghee in each depression.
- Add a tablespoonful batter to each depression. Keep the flame low.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for about a minute.
- Lift the cover and check the appam. The top color would have changed and the edges should look slightly browned.
- Lift one appam with the tip of a spoon or a blunt knife and check if the bottom is browned to your satisfaction. Do not let it blacken.
- Turn when the downside is golden brown. Add a few drops of oil or ghee if you wish.
- Cook the other side for a minute. Remove from the pan.
- Cook the other appams in the similar way.
Tips and variations
- You may use white sugar instead of jaggery. But in my opinion, jaggery tastes better.
- Serve sweet banana appam by itself or with a little ghee or jam. You may use any jam you prefer.
- Use jam when you like additional sweetness and flavor. I usually prefer and use only desi ghee.
You might like these
Find here kela banana recipes and banana tips about how to buy, store and ripen bananas fast or slowly. Banana is a nutritious fruit.
eggless banana cake recipe
Banana balehannina rasayna recipe, Karnataka traditional festival recipe, For naivedya and prasad. For vrat upvas.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.