Payasam - Gajar Kheer Recipe Indian sweet dish
Carrot Recipes - Indian dessert recipe
Carrot payasam, carrot Kheer or Gajar
ki kheer is a nutritious Indian sweet dish.
Carrot kheer is
served with a meal or at the end of a meal as a dessert. It is made for a
festival or as a party dessert as it can be made in advance and then refrigerated.
Carrots are known as gajar, gajjari in Indian languages. Though the English word carrot is more commonly used in south Indian states.
Carrot kheer has all the goodness of carrots and the milk and the
flavor of saffron and the cardamom. It is also a very easy to make among
the sweet recipes.
Carrot payasam - Gajar ki kheer - Carrot kheer
prefer to make this carrot kheer on festival days or on any other day
when I am craving for something sweet as carrot kheer is made with a
I feel this is healthier compared to other deep fried sweets
made using maida / plain flour. I am sure you will agree.
How to make carrot Kheer
Ingredients for carrot payasam - Gajar ki kheer
Ingredients for carrot Kheer to serve 3-4
- carrots - 2 medium size
- sugar - 1/4 cup - more or less according to taste.
- saffron - few strands
- cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- nuts such as almonds, cashews - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Milk - 500 ml
Preparation before making gajar ki kheer
- Wash and peel carrots
- Grate the carrots using a fine grater. You may use a food processor to grate carrots if you wish.
- Chop the nuts.
Cooking Carrot Kheer
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add grated carrots and fry on low
flame for 4-5 minutes stirring all the while. This is done till the raw
carrot smell disappears.
- Add milk and boil for 15 minutes or till carrots are cooked well.
- Add sugar and chopped nuts. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron strands. It will enhance flavor and color too.
Carrot kheer is ready to serve hot.
If you are planning to serve it
cold, cool it to the room temperature and then keep in the fridge. It
will keep in the fridge for a week or so. But by that time it will
definitely be over.
- Instead of grating, Carrots may also be ground using some milk.
- Add sugar only after carrots are cooked.
- If you like thicker consistency and richer taste, add some khoya along with sugar.
- You may use condensed milk instead of sugar to enhance taste and consistency.
- Add some almond paste - one table spoon, if you wish nutty and rich taste.
Serve hot or chilled. Enjoy this in the hot summer afternoons as a cool snack or as a desert.