Batata kachrya Stir fried Potato subji recipe
Maharashtrian potato side dish recipe
Batata kachrya, stir fried potato subji recipe is a potato side dish from Maharashtra.
This quick cooking recipe is a favorite of many to take in the lunch box with chapati or paratha or poori.
Potato cooks fast enough and when you cut the pieces thin and even, it takes only a few minutes.
You may also keep this potato subji in the fridge and reheat and serve for the next 2-3 days.
You may use a knife or a food processor to cut potatoes.
How to make batata kachrya stir fried potato subji recipe
Main ingredients for batatyachya kachrya
Potato - Batata - Aloo
Red chili - lal mirch powder
Cumin - Jeera
Ingredients for Batatyachya kachrya, stir fried potato subji for 2-3 servings
- Potatoes - 2-3 medium sized
- Salt - 1/2 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp, more or less according to taste
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Jeera (cumin) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing (asafetida) powder - a pinch
- Haldi (turmeric) powder
- Rai (mustard) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Cilantro / coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
- Grated coconut - 1 tbsp
Step by step instructions for making Batatyachya kachrya, stir fried potato subji
- Chop potato in small thin pieces as shown in the picture. Chop onion (if using).
- Heat oil in a pan. Keep heat medium once it is hot.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. when they stop spluttering, add hing and haldi.
- If using onion, do this step - add chopped onion and fry and let cook till transparent.
- Add chopped potato, curry leaves. stir fry and let cook. you may cover the pan for 2 minutes to cook faster.
- Add red chili powder, salt.
- Cook further till potatoes are just done. Add chopper dhania, fresh coconut(if adding).
- If you wish, you may let a few potato pieces become golden brown. Taste great.
Batatyachya kachrya - stir fried potato subji is done.
Serve it with chapati
Tips and variations
Add some garam masala along with red chili powder.
Add a pinch of sugar or jaggery if you wish.