Amla Chutney - Gooseberry chutney
Avla chutney - आवळ्याची चटणी
Amla / Indian gooseberry is is known as amalaki, avla or awala (Hindi / Marathi), nellikai (Kannada).
Amla or Indian gooseberry is a treasure trove of nutrition.
amla or gooseberries are available only in winter, you can make and start
using it immediately. You can also preserve amla in many ways and use
them whole year.
Amla Health benefits - Amla Nutrition
- Amla / gooseberries provide us vitamin C and vitamin E and are a treasure of nutrients needed for good health and to improve immunity.
- Regular consumption of Amla improves eyesight, skin and hair health.
- It is anti ageing too. Amla/ Indian gooseberry is a very nutritious fruit. Amla contains Vitamin C.
- It improves immunity and reduces chances of getting infections.
- helps digestion and reduces acidity.
- Amla is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties, both types of amla are beneficial for liver health.
- Amla improves heart and kidney health.
- Amla is good for getting healthy hair growth.
- Eating an amla in the morning helps in improving digestion and in keeping stomach acidity in control.
How to make Easy amla chutney recipe
Amla - Indian Gooseberries
Main ingredients for Amla - Gooseberry chutney
- Amla/Indian gooseberry – 4-6 large
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp or as per taste
- Jaggery – 1 ½ tbsp
- turmeric(haldi) powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek/methi seed powder(optional) – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
---Ingredients for tempering---
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Hing – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Step by step instructions for making amla chutney
Take raw amla in a bowl and wash it well. I pressure-cooked amla. You may boil it or steam it till it is cooked. Cook amla till it gets cracked.
You can see the cooked amla below image. It is cracked so now we can easily remove the seeds.
Now you can see that the amla seeds are removed. We have to throw away the seeds as we do not use them.
Add the amla segments in a mixer/ blender jar and grind to paste. You can see the ground amla in the image below.
Let us make tempering for amla chutney.
Heat a pan or kadai. Add and heat 1 tbsp oil.
Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let splutter.
Add hing and turmeric powder.
Add the ground amla paste and mix with tempering.
Add salt, ginger paste, methi powder and red chili powder.
Mix well and cook for a minute while mixing. In the image below you can see the ready amla chutney.
Serve amla chutney with plain rice, chapati, dosa, uttappa, idli etc.
Tips and variations
- You may add ginger paste, garlic paste if you wish as per your taste.
- You may grind amla segments with salt and spices and then add the tempering.
- This amla chutney is good to eat at room temperature for 2-3 days. In the fridge, it remains good for 8-10 days.
You might like these
Green Mango Chutney is a spicy, sour and sweetish Indian chutney recipe. It is called as kairi chutney in indian language.
amla indian gooseberry recipes, amalkki, avla, vitamin C
instant amla gooseberry pickle, Quick Awleka achar, Avlyache Lonche, Nellikai Uppinkai
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.