Flour Laddoo - Tambittu Unde Recipe
Akki hittina tambittu unde - festival sweet
Rice flour laddoo tambittu unde recipe comes to you from the southern
state Karnataka. It is a festival sweet recipe which is made as offering
to the god during Ganapati and Nag panchami festival.
There is also Roasted gram laddoo - Tambittu unde recipe which is made with roasted chickpeas, puthane or hurigadale for Nag Panchami as well as for Ganapati festival sweet.
For this recipe below, you may use the store bought rice flour or prepare the rice flour as given below.
to make Rice flour tambittu - Akki hittina tambittu
Ingredients for Rice flour laddoo tambittu unde
Ingredients for rice flour tambittu
- Rice flour -1 cup
- Gud (jaggery) -1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Grated dry coconut
(copra) - 1 tbsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4
- Roasted and crushed peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Roasted til (sesame seeds) - 1
- Roasted khaskhas (poppy seeds) - 1 tsp
rice flour, jaggery, ghee, peanuts, coconut, cardamom
Step by step instructions for making tambittu
- Heat a thick bottomed pan.
- Add 1/2 cup water and jaggery. Heat on medium flame.
- When jaggery is dissolved, take off flame and strain through tea strainer to remove any impurities.
- Put the jaggery syrup back in the pan and heat again on low flame.
- Add rice flour little by little, mixing all the time, to make lump-less mixture.
- Add grated coconut, ghee, cardamom powder, roasted Sesame seeds,
roasted poppy seeds.
- Continue cooking on a low flame. The mixture will
- Remove from fire and let cool a little.
- The mixture dries fast. While the mixture is still warm, make laddoos (balls) by dipping your hands in water.
- Let cool completely.
Store in air tight container. Will keep for a week if you cook till it is almost dry.
Tips and variations
Preparing rice flour for tambittu
- You may take the mixture off the flame when it is still soft.
This will keep for a couple of days. It is a personal choice if you want
to keep it soft or cook longer. Both taste good.
Wash raw rice. Put it on a colander to drain.
- Spread rice on a clean towel
for 3-4 hours and then grind it in the mixer/blender/grinder to very fine powder. If you are preparing rice flour in large quantity, say a kilo or more, you may get it ground in a nearby flourmill. This is possible if you are in India.
- Sieve and then spread on a plate to dry completely. If the flour is not completely dry, it may become moldy and will spoil in a few days.
- Then store in an airtight container.
- This rice flour or
powder can be used for making tambittu as well as modak for ganapati
You might like these
Sweet pongal with jaggery Sihi pongal recipe
Dussehra navaratri festival recipes, dasara, vijayadashmi, indian fasting recipes
Rice bread, called akki rotti is a rice flour bread recipe from Karnataka. It is usually made for breakfast as it is easy and quick to make.
Click on the Quick links below to go to the section.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.