Dalia kheer recipe Daliya / Lapsi kheer
Dalia kheer recipe- daliya kheer, lapsi kheer recipe is a easy and healthy Indian sweet recipe.
Dalia or daliya is also known as
wheat rava, broken wheat, cracked wheat, lapsi etc.
As dalia or daliya is made with whole raw
wheat, it contains the nutrition of whole wheat as it does not undergo any processing.
You may also use Bulgar wheat, also known as burghul, for this recipe. As it is precooked, it will
cook faster than dalia.(see note below).
There are many recipes made with dalia, both sweet as well as savories.
This dalia kheer is easy and
simple to make.
It is a quick recipe to make when you need a sweet dish to
serve with a meal.
I am making this with jaggery but you may use sugar if you wish.
to make Dalia/ Cracked wheat / Broken wheat kheer
Ingredients for Dalia - Broken wheat kheer to serve 2-3
- Dalia (broken wheat, cracked wheat) - 1/2 cup
- Water or milk - 2 1/2 to 3 cups as needed.
- Jaggery (gud - brown sugar) - 1/2 cup, more or less according to taste.
- Ghee (clarifies butter) - 2 tbsp (vegans can use vegetable oil)
- Dry fruits (cashew nuts, almonds, raisins) - 2 tbsp, chopped
- Powdered cardamom - 1/2 tsp
- Moong dal - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal - 1 tbsp
- Fresh coconut - 1/4 cup
- Khuskhus(poppy seeds) - 1 tbsp
- Milk - 1 cup ( vegans can use coconut milk)
Broken/cracked wheat - dalia - daliya - lapsi
Preparation before making daliya kheer - wheat rava kheer
If using jaggery - Gud:
If using sugar
- Add 1 cup of water and jaggery to a pan.
- Heat and bring to boil. Stir
till jaggery dissolves. Take off fire and
Keep aside. We will strain this later to remove impurities if any.
you may add it directly after dalia is almost cooked.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan/kadai , add ghee and dalia. You may also use a small pressure cooker to cook dalia. Keep heat medium.
stirring dalia for 4-5 minutes till an aroma rises from dalia.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Mix well with dalia. Cover with a lid and let dalia cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir and Cook till the water is absorbed by dalia and it has become soft. This may take
for 7-8 minutes. Dalia will be cooked by this time.
- Stir in between and add more water if necessary.
- Strain the dissolved jaggery water over dalia. If adding sugar, add it now. Mix well.
- When dalia is fully cooked, add the chopped dry fruits
and cardamom powder. Mix and switch off.
Keep covered till serving time. You may add hot milk in the end to the kheer before taking off the flame.
Note : Bulgar wheat, which is used more in America, is precooked and
then broken. Whereas cracked wheat is
broken when raw.
- The color of your dalia kheer will depend on the color of your dry dalia and the color of
jaggery. The color of daliya as well as jaggery available in the market
differs. It is whitish to dark brown.
- We heat, dissolve and
strain jaggery to remove any impurities in it. If using sugar, add it
after dalia is almost cooked and cook till it is absorbed completely.
- The exact amount of water will depend on the variety of dalia.
may increase or reduce the amount of ghee according to your
choice. Desi Ghee adds to the taste and flavor to the sheera.
use sugar instead of jaggery(gud). This will give a lighter color to
sheera. If using sugar, no need to first heat and dissolve it in water.
- You may use milk instead of water. Kheer will have a richer taste. Or you may use half milk and half water
if you wish.