Cabbage rice bhaat recipe
Cabbage pulao - cabbage spicy rice
Cabbage rice or cabbage bhaat recipe. Cabbage pulao / cabbage spicy rice is simple and easy to make. Cabbage is called Gobi (Hindi), and Kobi (Marathi), Kosu (Kannada).
It is good to add cabbage into your diet as it helps you reduce weight. Cabbage is one of the negative calorie food. Meaning that when you eat cabbage, the energy that you spend in
digesting cabbage is more than what you are getting from that cabbage.
So do not forget to add it to your meals regularly in soups, rice, subjis or in snack items.
How to make Cabbage rice bhaat recipe
Ingredients to make cabbage rice bhaat for 2 - 3 servings
- Cooked rice - 3 cups
- Cabbage - 1 cup, chopped fine.
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped fine
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp.
- Oil -1tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2tsp, more or less according to taste .
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Asafoetida(hing) - a pinch.
- Ginger/ garlic paste 1/4 tsp.
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 tbsp
- Juice of a lime - 1/2 tsp
Cooking method for cabbage rice bhaat
- Heat oil in a pan. Keep heat medium.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida (hing).
- Add peanuts now, if adding. Fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onion. Stir fry till onion changes color.
- Add chopped cabbage. Mix and Cover.
- Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ginger/garlic paste if adding, curry leaves. stir. Add salt, sugar and red chili powder.
- Stir and continue cooking.
- Cover and cook on low flame till cabbage is just done.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Taste for salt and chili powder. Add more salt and chili powder if needed.
- Cover and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
Keep covered till serving time.
Garnish with freshly grated coconut and chopped dhania (cilantro) leaves when serving.
Serve it hot or at room temperature with chapati or plain rice.
- You may add green chilies instead of red chili powder . The color
will change accordingly and you can see that in the image above. I like
it more with red chili powder .
- There is no need to add water to this recipe. Cabbage contains
enough water. When you add sugar and salt, this water will be released.
That is enough for the cabbage to be just cooked.
- To reduce
final cooking time, you can steam chopped cabbage for 10
minutes before adding to seasoning.
- Or you can pressure cook cabbage and
then add to the prepared seasoning, chopped onion and then stir fry.