Bottlegourd doodhi Lauki chana dal subji, step by step instructions with pictures.
This is a popular, simple method of making lauki chana dal subji. It takes about 20 minutes to make and you can serve it with chapatis, rice, bhakri etc.
Bottle gourd is also known as doodhi, ghiya, laucki, opo squash etc.
I am making is in pressure cooker as it is a fast method. Add just enough water.
If you wish, you may make this is a kadai or a pan. You will just need to check a couple of times in between to see if lauki is cooked to your liking and if more water is needed.
Today I am making this laucki subzi to serve with chapati. If you want to serve it with rice, add more water.
Ingredients for bottlegourd - doodhi - lauki chana dal subji
1. Peel and chop bottle gourd / lauki in small pieces as shown in the image below.
Wash and soak chana dal in 1/4 cup water for about 30 minutes or more. Soaking longer is ok.
2. These are the other ingredients to add to lauki chana dal subji. Freshly grated coconut, jaggery, curry leaves, salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chili paste.
3. Heat oil in pressure cooker, fry pan or kadai. I am using a small size stainless steel pressure cooker.
Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and hing - asafoetida. When the seeds stop spluttering, add the garlic, chili, ginger pastes and fry for a few seconds.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and all the other ingredients together. You can see that in the image below.
5. Mix everything together and close the cooker lid. Put the weight as you normally do and let it cook till 2 whistles. Switch off after two whistles.
Let the cooker cool naturally. This may take about 10-15 minutes.
If cooking in a pan/kadai, after adding everything, stir well and cover with a lid. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then check if more water is needed and lauki is cooked soft to your liking. Cover and continue cooking and checking every 2 minutes till it is done.
6. After the cooker has cooled naturally, open it carefully and now you will see how doodhi subji looks in the image below. Add fresh chopped coriander leaves. Stir it well.
Add more water if it looks too dry to your liking. Boil again for a minute.
If it looks too watery, cook for some time without lid to reduce water.
Switch of the flame.
Leave it aside till serving time. Or remove subji in a serving bowl now itself.
Serve with chapati, bhakri, rice, paratha etc.
Tips and variations
Jan 10, 18 08:17 AM
bhogichi bhaji winter vegetable stew recipe. Also known as 'lekurvali bhaji' in Marathi. Bhogi, the day before Makar sankranti festival.
Jan 06, 18 12:23 AM
bottlegourd doodhi lauki chana dal subji, ghiya subzi, laucki, opo squash, bengal gram
Jan 02, 18 11:17 PM
Find here potato cauliflower aloo gobi subji that is easy to make vegetable side dish.