Indian Potato Recipe - Potato Masala
Batata - Aloo Bhaji
- Aloo subji
This easy potato recipe Potato Masala is also called Aloo Subji or Potato
Bhaji. Alu or Aloo means Potato in hindi. This is a very quick and
easy to make vegetable side dish.
This Potato fry dish, is a good accompaniment with any Indian Bread,
chapati, Poori or with
Dosa, the Indian Vegan Pancake.
Potato masala is served in restaurants as well as in Indian homes with Indian Breads
In many homes, this potato subji is the favorite accompaniment for chapati and poori.
Once you have this potato subji ready, you can use it in many dishes such as frankie.
If you like potatoes, you are going to like this potato bhaji.
to make Potato Masala - Aloo Subji - Batata bhaji
Main ingredients for potato recipe - Batata Bhaji
Potato - Batata
Onion - Pyaj - Kanda
Ingredients for potato bhaji - aloo bhaji for 4-5 servings
Potatoes - 4 Boiled till just done.
- Onion - 1 large, chopped fine.
chillies - 2
- Ginger, paste or finely chopped 1/4 tsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp according to
- Garlic(optional) chopped or paste - 1/4 tsp
- Oil -1tbsp.
seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) : a pinch.
- Curry leaves - 5-6
Step by step instructions for making potato subji - Aloo bhaji
- Boil Potatoes. Peel and cube or lightly mash potatoes.
- Cut green chillies in pieces or make into paste. I am using chili paste in this recipe.
Potato masala - aloo bhaji Cooking method :
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seed. When they stop spluttering, add Asafoetida (hing).
- Add green chilli pieces. Fry for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped onion.
- Fry till onions are transparent. Add turmeric powder and mix
- Add ginger/garlic paste, chili paste and curry leaves. stir.
- Add cubed / mashed potatoes, salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add chopped Coriander leaves(cilantro). Mix well.
Potato subji is ready to eat.
Serve it with Indian Breads such as
Tips and variations
You may chop boiled potatoes or mash them roughly. Your choice.
Go to Vegetable Recipes from Potato Masala
Go to Curry Recipes from Potato Masala
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Home Page From Potato Recipe