Oatmeal Oats Khichadi Recipe
Oatmeal / Oats Khichadi Recipe is an easy, one dish meal recipe.
Oats are for human consumption in the form of rolled oats or oatmeal. Other than that, oats are mainly used as animal feed.
Oats are full of nutrients and reduce blood cholesterol. Oats are also helpful in weight loss.
Oats are generally eaten as a porridge. they are also used in baking such as oatcake, oatbread, oats cookies etc.
Oatmeal / Oats Khichadi Recipe needs about 25-30 minutes to cook on the stove top.
You can make this khichri in the pressure cooker. Below you will find instructions to cook Oatmeal Oats Khichadi in a pot on the stove top.
How to make Oatmeal Oats Khichadi on stove top
Ingredients for Oatmeal Oats Khichadi to serve 2-3
- Oatmeal/ Oats - 1/2 cup
- Moong dal (split mung bean) - 1/2 cup
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10-15
- Freshly grated coconut or dried kopra - 2 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 1/2 - tsp or according to taste.
- Jaggery or sugar - 1 tsp or according to taste
- Pepper corns - 5-6
- Vegetable Oil + ghee - 1 tbsp each
- Water - 2 1/2 to 3 cups according to the consistency you want.
- Chili (green or red) - optional - 2 or according to taste
- Ginger paste or finely chopped - 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable mix - 1/2 cup chopped ( you may use onion, beans, carrots, peas, cauliflower etc.)
- Jeera (Cumin seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dhania (Coriander seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - small
Oatmeal Oats Khichadi preparation before cooking
- Wash moong dal. Keep aside.
- Slit green chili lengthwise, if using.
How to make Oatmeal Oats Khichadi Recipe - khichadi on the stove top
- Heat a thick bottom deep pan.
- Add oil / ghee and heat it. Add
- When jeera splutter, add black pepper corns, cinnamon stick and
fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped chili, curry leaves.
- Add oats, moong dal and fry for 3-4 minutes (this frying is optional).
- Add all other ingredients and water.
- Stir and bring
to boil on high flame.
- Reduce flame and cover partially with a plate to
let the steam
escape. Continue cooking. (if you cover completely, the contents may
- Check in between and add more water if needed.
- Cook until oats is
done to your desired consistency and all the water is absorbed. This
may take about 10-15 minutes.
- Switch of the flame and let rest for 5
minutes. Serve hot.
You may also use a pressure cooker. Khichadi will be done faster. After adding all the ingredients, cover with pressure cooker lid, put the weight and let cook for 2-3 whistles.
This khichadi needs a little more water to cook than the usual
moong dal khichdi with rice.
You can make it dryish (grains separate) or
soft as you wish. I like it to be a little soft.
You may add your favorite vegetables such as beans, carrots, potatoes, green peas, cabbage, cauliflower etc.
You may also make it plain, mildly spicy or very spicy according to your taste.
Go to Millet Recipes Page from oats khichadi recipe
Go to Vegetarian Recipes site home from oatmeal khichadi recipe