Lentil Recipe - Mung Bean Curry
Indian Lentil curry - Make with different types of lentils
This lentil recipe is one among easy Indian cooking recipes. This green lentil curry is also one of the
quick cooking recipes as green lentils (mung beans - whole moong)
It can be made using any kind of whole lentils or beans such as mung beans,
red lentil (masoor), cow pea (black eyed pea), chick peas etc. Cooking time will differ according to which type of lentil
you are using to make this lentil curry.
It is served with steamed Rice or roti.
You may add any vegetables of your choice such as onions, potatoes, tomatoes, brinjals, beans,
cabbage, knolkol, raddish etc. you can use any one or a mix of these vegetables.
You can make it as thick or thin as you like, depending on if you want to serve it with rice or roti bread.
such as tamarind may be substituted with lemon juice.
You may omit coconut and curry leaves if you wish.
I am using mung beans(whole green lentils), onions and tomatoes in the following recipe.
How to make Green lentil curry - Mung Bean Curry:
Main ingredients for mung bean curry - lentil curry
Ingredients to make lentil curry for 4-5 servings:
Whole moong - mung bean
Red ripe tomatoes
Onion - Pyaj - Kanda
Ingredients for seasoning:
Whole Mung Bean (whole green lentil) - 1 cup
- Onions - 2 medium sized or 1
- Tomatoes - 2 medium sized or 1 cup chopped
- Tamarind - a
lime sized ball or lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seed powder - 1 tea spoon
- Garam Masala powder - 1 tea spoon
chilli powder - 1/2 tea spoon or according to taste.
- Fresh Grated
coconut(optional) - 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves(optional) - a sprig.
- Coriander leaves(cilantro) - 1 tbsp chopped.
- Salt - 1 tea spoon or to
- Sugar or jaggery - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - 2-3 cups, depending on the consistency you want.
Vegetable Oil or ghee(clarified butter) - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (optional) - 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder -
Step by step instructions for making whole mung bean curry
Preparation before cooking mung bean curry:
- Wash and Soak mung beans in water for 30 minutes. This reduces cooking
time if you are
cooking directly. If you are using pressure cooker to cook, no need to
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes. Get pulp using 1 cup of
Cooking Method for lentil curry
Cook Mung bean in 2 cups of water till it is soft. You may use pressure
cooker if you wish, it will take the
same time as rice.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard and cumin
seeds. When they stop crackling, add asafetida and turmeric powder,
- Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Add coriander, cumin powders. Add garam masala.
cooked Mung bean to the mixture. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind
pulp, salt. Stir.
- Add more water if needed. Boil for 5 minutes.
chopped coriander leaves.
Mung bean Curry is ready.
Serve hot with rice or roti, bread.
Tips and variations
- You may use 1 tbsp lime juice instead of tamarind pulp. If using
lime juice, add it to the curry after the
curry is cooked and the stove is off.
Go To Lentil Recipes Page
From Mung Bean Lentil recipe
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Green lentil recipe