Sweet Coconut Rice recipe - Narali Bhat
Sweet coconut rice pudding recipe is part of Indian Festival foods
Sweet coconut rice is a rice dish from the western Indian state of
Maharashtra. It is called Narali Bhat in Marathi. 'Naral = Coconut' and 'bhat = rice'.
Narali bhat is made on 'Narali Pournima' day, a 'Coconut festival day' which falls on a full moon
day in the rainy season, mostly in August.
Sweet coconut rice - Narali bhaat
It is a festival for the Koli (fishermen) of the western Indian coast who
worship the sea on that day as the sea provides them their livelihood.
You can use long grained basmati rice or any other rice of your choice. Basmati rice adds a flavor of it's own to this
Traditionally, this rice is made with jaggery(brown sugar). You may substitute jaggery with sugar if you wish.
Jaggery is healthier than sugar and gives a wonderful taste as well as color.
This recipe uses grated fresh coconut. If fresh coconut is not available, you
may use desiccated coconut.
If Soak it in a little warm water 10-15 minutes before using.
to make Sweet Coconut Rice - Narali Bhat recipe
Ingredients for Narli bhat for 3-4 servings:
- Rice - 1 cup
- fresh coconut - 1 1/2
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves - 4 No
- Sugar or grated jaggery - 1 1/2 cups (more or less according to taste).
- Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp, chopped
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Ghee or oil - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Wash rice, drain and keep aside for 1 hour.
- If you are using desiccated coconut, soak that in warm water.
Cooking Sweet coconut rice - Narali bhat
Heat ghee in a deep pan. Reduce heat to minimum.
- Add cashew nut pieces and fry a little.
Remove and keep aside to add later.
- Add cloves to the same ghee. Fry for a few seconds till you get the aroma.
- Add drained rice. Fry for 2 minutes on low flame. If using basmati rice, handle with care.
- Add 2 cups water and cook the rice till just done.
- Add grated jaggery and grated fresh coconut. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add the cardamom powder, cashew nut pieces, raisins and mix well carefully. Don't let the
rice get mushy.
Sweet coconut rice pudding or Narali bhaat is ready. Keep covered till serving time.
- You may also make a syrup with jaggery or sugar with a little water and add it to the
rice when it is just cooked.
- If the jaggery or sugar contain any impurities, making syrup and straining the syrup
to remove impurities is better.
- Using ghee gives good flavor and taste.
- If vegan, you may use coconut oil or any other vegetable oil
to Indian Sweets page from Narli bhat - coconut rice
to Rice Recipes from sweet coconut rice
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from sweet coconut rice