Dal recipe - Palak Dal
Palak - Fresh spinach recipe
This spinach dal or 'palak dal'
is a simple and easy recipe. I like
spinach and I think this is a yummy way to eat the greens and get the
nutrients such as iron.
You can use the spinach leaves along with the tender stems for this.
You may use pressure cooker for cooking spinach dal recipe as that really saves
You can also cook it on the stove top in a pot/pan if you wish.
For this spinach and lentil recipe, you can use split mung bean (mung dal or green gram dal)
, red lentil( masoor dal or split yellow lentil (toor dal/tuvar dal/arahar dal).
You can use
any one dal mentioned or a mixture of all the three dals.
If you are using a mixture of the three dals, remember that mung dal and masoor dal cook
faster than toor dal.
So washing and soaking toor dal for 15-20 minutes before cooking is
better. All the three dals will get cooked at the same time.
I am using a mixture of the three dals mentioned above.
This spinach recipe goes well with plain steamed rice or any flat breads such as chapatti, paratha, nan etc.
You can see below two methods
Cooking spinach/palak dal using pressure cooker.
Cooking spinach/palak dal on the stove top.
How to cook spinach dal - Palak dal using pressure cooker
Ingredients to cook dal for 4 servings:
Ingredients for tempering
- Mung dal -2 tbsp
- Masoor dal - 2 tbsp
- Toor dal - 2 tbsp
- Spinach leaves - 2 cups, chopped.
- Water - 2 cups or more
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera powder(Cumin seed powder) - 1/2 tsp
- Dhania powder (coriander seed powder) - 1 tsp
- Garlic flakes - 4-5 chopped
- turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp
- Sugar or gud (jaggery) - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
- Green chili - 1 , slit in two
- Curry leaves (optional) -
Method to cook spinach dal - palak dal
- Wash all the dals and add to the pressure cooker along with 2 cups water
and chopped spinach.
- Add the ingredients from dals to turmeric powder to
the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker and let it cook till 1
- Switch off and let cool.
- When the cooker has cooled, stir the dal
mixture, check for consistency.
- Add more water
- Add salt, tamarind pulp, sugar or jaggery and let cook for 2-3
To make tempering
- In a small pan, heat oil/ghee. Add mustard seeds. Let splutter.
cumin seeds and all the other ingredients one after another. Take off
- Add it to the mixture in pressure cooker.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with
plain rice or with any flat breads such as chapatti, nan, paratha etc.
Cooking spinach dal on the stove top
If cooking dals on the stove top without using pressure cooker,
wash and soak dals for 15-20 minutes
before cooking. This will reduce cooking time.
- Add 2 cups water to the pan along
with dals. Bring to boil and cook till just done.
- Add chopped spinach. Cook for another 2-3 minutes till spinach looks wilted.
- Then add all the spices, salt, tempering
etc. as given above.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Take off fire.
Serve hot with rice, roti etc.
Fresh lemon juice may be added instead of tamarind juice. Lime juice
should be added after the heat is off and dal is
to Vegetable recipes page from Spinach Dal recipe
to Lentil Recipes Page from Palak Dal
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Spinach Dal - Palak Dal