Sheera - Sooji - Suji ka halwa Recipe
Cream of Wheat - Semolina Pudding Recipe
This Sheera recipe or sooji ka halwa
is a popular sweet dish in India. It is made all over india. In
the south as well as north indian states.
Sooji ka halwa
is made for breakfast or as a snack or as a side dish with a main meal.
In Maharashtra and Karnataka, it is distributed to the devotees as a
after the Satyanarayana Pooja. At that time Banana is also added to it.
Rava sheera - Semolina pudding
How to Make Sheera - Sooji ka halwa?
Ingredients for making sheera - shira - Sooji halwa:
- Semolina (sooji / rava / cream of wheat) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cup or a little more.
- Water + milk - 2 cups
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts -4-5 chopped finely
- Raisins - 10
- Cardamom powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon.
Cooking method to make sooji ka halwa:
- Heat a deep thick bottomed pan. Add ghee and semolina.
- Roast till semolina starts giving a nice aroma. It will take about 7-8 minutes. But do not let it become brown.
- Add 2 cups water. Stir well and let cook covered on low fire for a few minutes.
- Remove lid and add sugar. Mix well and let cook some more. The sugar will be dissolve and mixture will become
a little watery.
- Continue cooking covered for about 4-5 minutes.Stir once in between.
- Add cashew nuts, cardamom powder.Mix.
- Cover and cook for a 2 minutes.
Sooji Halva is ready to serve.
- Add banana, mango, apple or pineapple as a variation. If using fresh fruit or canned one, add it in the end after you
take sheera off fire. Mix well.
- You may omit the cardamom powder when you add fruit if you wish but you don't have to.
- Add milk instead of water if you wish. Or you can use half milk and half water. Milk makes it more tasty.
- If you are a vegan, use only water. Instead of ghee, use oil.
- To reduce time, heat water while you are roasting rava/semolina and add this hot water to roasted. Cooking will be done fast.
Go to snack Recipes Page From Shira - sooji ka halwa
Go to Rava - Semolina - cream of wheat Recipes Page From Sheera
Go To Vegetarian Recipes Home