Sambar Recipe - South Indian Recipe
Yellow Lentil and vegetables dish
South Indian Lentil Curry Recipes
This sambar recipe is a popular south Indian recipe. It is an important side dish that
is served with
Steamed Rice - Plain rice.
Sambar is made with yellow lentil called pigeon peas - Tuvar dal - toor dal and vegetables.
You can use any vegetables
of your choice such as onions, potatoes, tomatoes, brinjals, beans, cabbage, knolkol, raddish etc. you
can use any one or a mix of these vegetables.
The sambar powder
can be made in large quantities and stored for 6 months or more. I use it most of the time. Of course the
freshly made sambar powder has a special taste, which I make once in a while when I have more time.
I am using onions and tomatoes in this recipe. My family loves it.
I am also making fresh sambar powder for this
recipe. You may use 1 1/2 tbsp ready sambar powder instead if you do not have time to make it now.
How to make Sambar - South Indian lentil recipe
Main ingredients for onion sambar
Ingredients for Sambar Powder
- Coriander seeds - 1 table spoon
- Chana dal - 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal -1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Asafetida - 1/4 tea spoon
- Red chillies - 2 to 4, according to taste
- Black pepper - 1/4 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tea spoon
- Methi (fenugreek) seeds - 1/4 tea spoon
Ingredients for Sambar:
- Toor dal - 1 small cup
- Tamarind - a lime sized ball
- Onions 2 medium sized, chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 medium sized, chopped
- Curry leaves - a sprig.
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped.
- Salt - 1 tea spoon or to taste.
- Water - 3-4 cups.
Ingredients for tempering:
Oil + ghee - 1 tsp each
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon.
Step by step instructions for making sambar
- Roast the sambar powder ingredients on low flame.
- Grind to fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Get pulp using 1 cup of
- Cook Toor dal in 2 cups of water till it is soft.
- In a deep pan, Heat
- Add mustard and cumin seeds. When they stop crackling, add
asafetida and turmeric powder, curry leaves,
- Fry for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup water.
- Add ground sambar powder. Boil.
- Mash the cooked dal.
Add to the mixture. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp, salt.
- Add more water if needed. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped
- Sambar is ready to serve with
Rava Idli ,
Tips and variations
I have used onions and tomatoes in this sambar recipe. This is a favorite combination in my home.
may also use some other vegetables such as potatoes, brinjals, green
beans, carrots, okra(ladies finger) etc. instead of or along with onions
Go to Lentil Recipes Page from Sambar Recipe
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Sambar Recipe